7 Nursing & Rehab Communities in the Livermore Falls Area
45 Brookside Avenue, Livermore Falls, ME 04254
- 12-bed Intermediate Care Facility for people with Intellectual Disabilities
- 24-hour nursing services and ongoing education in the form of Active Treatment
- Through the dedication and expertise of the programming staff the residents of Harris House are assisted with advancing their proficiency in activities of daily living, communication, and self-concepts
We are your home away from home.
107 Orchard Street, Farmington, ME 04938
- Unique apartments providing independent and assisted living
- Short-term skilled nursing (following hospitalization), rehabilitation including speech pathology, occupational and physical therapy, long-term and end of life care
- range of amenities including personal care, medication administration, meals, housekeeping, activities, transportation to shopping or doctors' appointments and laundry services
- We accept Medicare, Medicaid (MaineCare), private insurance and private funds depending on eligible services
228 Fairbanks Road, Farmington, ME 04938
- Small hometown facility with an ambiance of comfort and friendliness
- Short term skilled nursing (following hospitalization), rehabilitation including speech pathology, physical and occupational therapy, long-term care, and end of life care as well as residential care
- We accept Medicare, Medicaid (MaineCare), private insurance or your own private funds depending on eligible services
- Edgewood feels like the right place to find the services you need
We work to accomplish your goals and exceed your expectations
457 Old Lewiston Road, Winthrop, ME 04364
- Small 52-bed continuing care community
- Fine restaurant-style dining allows residents to make meal choices from menus
- Free wireless internet and a computer access for all residents to use add to the benefits of staying at Heritage
- A busy Activity program affords residents the opportunity to become involved in the local community
- State of the art Therapy Room
Not just a building, It's a home
11 John F. Kennedy Lane, Rumford, ME 04276
- Continuum of care in a warm, friendly, homelike setting
- Wide variety of activities, including live musical entertainment, crafts, outdoor activities with outings to local parks, restaurants and shops
- We offer complimentary basic cable TV, wireless internet connections, and a Wii interactive game system on a wide screen television with bowling, baseball, exercise programs and a variety of other entertaining games
- Family members are welcome to join in activities with their loved ones and are invited to our holiday meals
Dedicated to ensuring your stay with us exceeds your expectations
158 Russell Street, Lewiston, ME 04240
- 103-bed continuing care community located near Bates College in Lewiston
- We feature our own rehabilitation staff and offer therapy six days a week
- Twenty-four hour supervision, assistance with activities of daily living, medication administration, meal service, and integrated community activities
- Our facility offers a resident-use computer, complimentary wireless internet access, and cable television throughout the facility
- Meals are served in our roomy and well-appointed dining area, which features tableside service
Committed to providing the quality and range of services our community deserves and expects
174 Main Street, Madison, ME 04950
- Skilled Nursing and Long Term Care services
- Unrivaled in the area for professionalism, quality, and individualized care
- Dedicated caregivers assist residents to maintain their highest level of independence while motivating them to socialize through activity programs adapted to their needs and abilities
What is Skilled Nursing Care and Rehabilitation?
Skilled Nursing Facilities, or SNFs, offer a high level of in-patient medical treatment and rehabilitation. SNFs provide 24/7 care to patients who no longer need hospitalization but still require complex nursing and therapy in order to recover from acute injury, illness or surgery. The staff providing the care have received advanced training and licensing, and include registered nurses (RNs), licensed practical nurses and physical, occupational and speech therapists, all working under doctor supervision. Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Facilities can operate as standalone businesses or they can be part of a nursing home or assisted living facility, in a separate unit, wing or floor.
The goal of SNFs is to help patients regain sufficient function and health to return home or transition to another housing option that requires a lower level of care, such as a nursing home or assisted living facility. Because patients enter a skilled nursing facility after a hospital stay, SNFs often describe the care provided as “post-acute care”. This post-acute care often requires some form of rehabilitation for sufficient recovery, so skilled nursing and rehabilitation go hand-in-hand. The types of care provided include:
• Cardiac care
• IV Therapy
• Wound care
• Pulmonary rehabilitation
• Post-stroke recovery
• Monitoring of vital signs
• Speech-language pathology
• Physical therapy
• Occupational therapy
What is the Difference between a Skilled Nursing Facility and a Nursing Home?
SNFs and nursing homes do share some overlap, which can make differentiating between the two somewhat difficult. And again, a nursing home may offer skilled nursing and rehab in a separate wing or area. But they both assist with activities of daily living (ADLs), such as bathing, dressing, walking, toileting and eating. They also manage minor medical tasks, like monitoring medication or oxygen, but beyond that, the types of medical care offered by SNFs and nursing homes differ tremendously.
As described above, SNFs offer “skilled care” – specialized medical care and therapy that can only be safely provided by professionally-trained staff for post-acute recovery and rehabilitation. Care frequently involves the use of hospital-quality medical equipment, which is not available in nursing homes. Nursing homes provide “custodial care”, or care that can be provided by non-licensed staff, often nurse aides. This includes assistance with ADLs, cooking, laundry, and administration of medication. Residents of nursing homes are usually medically stable but have chronic or ongoing conditions that require 24-hr supervision as opposed to 24-hr medical care, such as mobility or cognitive issues. Nursing homes don’t need to have registered nurses in-house, around-the clock and can have RNs or doctors on call.
The duration of care is another major difference between SNFs and nursing homes. According to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the average length of stay in a SNF is 28 days. In contrast, a nursing home is a home, rather than a clinical setting, and is designed to be more permanent. A nursing home has residents instead of patients. Nursing homes focus on daily, non-medical care, with an emphasis on social engagement and building a sense of community. Meals are served in a communal setting, and planned activities and neighborhood excursions are a regular part of life.
The final major difference between Skilled Nursing Facilities and nursing homes is cost. Medicare does not cover the costs for custodial care, which is what nursing homes provide. SNF stays in a semi-private room may be partially covered by Medicare Part A if certain criteria are met, including but not limited to:
• The stay is ordered by a doctor
• A qualifying hospital stay of at least 3 days preceded the order
• Care is complex enough that it can only be performed by professional personnel, such as nurses or therapists
• The services are received in a Medicare-certified SNF
If these and other criteria are met, Medicare will cover stays of up to 100 days as follows:
• Days 1-20: 100%
• Days 21-100: copay
• Days 101+: 0%
What are the Benefits of Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation?
• Skilled nursing is available 24/7, under the supervision of a doctor
• A specialized therapy and care plan involving a variety of treatment methods
• Lower chance of rehospitalization
• On-site tests and procedures
• Dietary assistance
• Medicare coverage for qualifying cases
Begin your search for Skilled Nursing, Rehabilitation Facilities and Nursing Homes by using our US map above. Your search results will include community pictures, descriptions, floor plans, direct contact information and pricing where available.