5 Memory Care Communities in the Salinas Area
Exceptional Senior Living
- 290 Regency Circle, Salinas, CA 93906
- Set on beautifully landscaped grounds with a courtyard and lovely gardens
- Considered one of the Salinas Valley's premier assisted living and Alzheimer's communities
- 69 apartments on two floors featuring a modern open floor plan and many community gathering areas
- Our community gathering areas, including our lovely dining room, TV room, library and activities center, give residents and their loved ones the opportunity to get to know one another
Senior Living in Monterey!
- 200 Iris Canyon Road, Monterey, CA 93940
- 110 senior living apartments. Choose from studios, one and two bedroom apartments and cottages
- Independent living, assisted living, memory care and respite care services. Take advantage of personal care services if needed
- Anytime Dining. Enjoy fresh, restaurant-style meals served on your schedule - 7 am to 7 pm - 7 days a week
- Active Living. Pursue physical, social, intellectual, emotional and spiritual interests
Our Personalized Approach to Care Helps Us Meet Your Changing Needs.
- 1110 Cass Street, Monterey, CA 93940
- Gracious accommodations with a variety of floor plans
- Up to three delicious, well-balanced meals served daily featuring a variety of menu choices with snacks available throughout the day
- Monthly wellness visits by a licensed on-staff nurse
- Weekly housekeeping and daily trash removal
- Daily physical fitness, creative, social, learning and spiritual activities, scheduled group trips and resident-sponsored clubs for a variety of interests
Luxury Senior Living in Carmel Valley
- 26245 Carmel Rancho Blvd, Carmel, CA 93923
- Here, you'll find more than a beautiful, modern, luxurious residence to call your own
- An intimate senior friendly environment with 24-hour staffing and outstanding care, offering Assisted Living and Memory Care.
- Let us do the cooking while you enjoy the daily meeting of friends around the table with food you'll love.
- Stay active in current interests and discover new ones with dozens of monthly classes, concerts, outings and events.
- Enjoy your home knowing that we take care of everything. From security to maintenance to housekeeping, our staff is at your beck and call 24 hours per day.
Gilroy Independent, Assisted Living and Alzheimer's and Dementia Care
- 7600 Isabella Way, Gilroy, CA 95020
- State-of-the-art resident call system in every apartment
- Library, comfortable living rooms and social meeting areas
- Month to month rental, no buy-in required
- Anytime Dining served restaurant style
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
What is Dementia, Alzheimer’s, & Memory Care?
Memory Care is a long-term residential care option in senior housing that provides specialized, around-the-clock care to older adults living with all types of dementia. Memory Care, also referred to as Alzheimer’s Care or Dementia Care, may become necessary once cognitive disorders reach a stage that makes living at home or receiving care at home too difficult. It’s common to find a Memory Care unit within an Assisted Living community, often in a specialized building or neighborhood. Memory Care housing may also be found in a Continuing Care Retirement Community, a Skilled Nursing Facility, Nursing Home or as a standalone entity or community.
Dementia vs Alzheimer’s
Dementia is a broad term applied to a group of symptoms related to a decline in mental function that is severe enough to interfere with daily living. Huntington’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and traumatic brain injuries are all linked to dementia. Alzheimer’s is a specific brain disorder, and the most common form of dementia, that destroys memory and cognitive skills over time. Both dementia and Alzheimer’s may result in memory loss, mood swings, speech impairment, confusion/hallucinations and incontinence.
When Might Memory Care be Necessary?
It may be time to look into a memory care community if you’re concerned for your loved one’s health and safety due to one or more of the following issues:
- Wandering from home or getting lost on familiar routes
- Forgetting to turn off stoves or other appliances
- Changes in personality, such as aggression or hostility
- Misplacing items and forgetting important dates and names
- Incoherent thoughts and speech
- Impaired judgment
- Physical changes, including weight loss, poor hygiene and falls or unexplained bruises
- Unpaid bills, insufficient or spoiled food in the home, pets and/or housekeeping are neglected
- Changes in health and behavior that are beyond your family’s ability to manage
What is the Difference between Memory Care and Assisted Living?
Memory Care and Assisted Living communities both providing housing, meals, and assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs), such as bathing, dressing, toileting and walking. However, Memory Care communities offer additional features that are specifically designed to help residents with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia, in the following areas:
- Safety: Memory Care communities typically have locked entrances and exits with keypad codes, door alarms and enclosed outdoor spaces. Staff will also escort residents to and from meals and activities.
- Layout: Soothing spaces, color-coded walls and common rooms clearly marked with pictures to help reduce confusion.
- Activities: While both Assisted Living and Memory Care communities both offer activities that encourage socialization, Memory Care communities often include therapies and exercises that help maintain cognitive skills and increase relaxation, such as occupational, art or music therapies. They also have predictable schedules and follow set routines.
- Staff and Training: The staff in a Memory Care community are trained to manage wandering, and to redirect behaviors common to dementia, such as agitation, confusion, aggression and anxiety. There is 24/7 care, a higher staff-resident ratio and personalized care plans.
A Memory Care community can offer your loved one more independence, engagement, safety and specialized support, along with peace of mind for you. Begin your search for a Memory Care community using our US map above. Our search results include facility pictures, descriptions, floor plans and pricing where available.