5 Featured Memory Care Communities in the Norfolk Area
We Listen. We Love. We Care. We Serve.
- Private and Semi Private Rooms w/Their Own Bathrooms
- Farm to Table Home Cooked Meals
- Individualized Care Plans and Daily Activities Calendar
- Large Theater Room, Furnished Outdoor Patio and Fellowship
- Weekly Housekeeping,Linens, Medication Management, Award Winning Memory Care
We listen. We love. We care. We serve.
- Private and Suite rooms with private bath - Daily Activities
- Individualized Care Plans - 24-hour Available Staff
- Weekly Housekeeping/Linens - Trips and Social Programs
- Medication Management - Short Term Respite stays
- Pets Welcome - No Entrance Fees * Award Winning Memory Care
Quality Senior Living
- Resident Centered Care
- Not for Profit Catholic Community, Sponsored by the Richmond Diocese
- Extensive Assisted Living When Traditional Assisted Living is Not Enough
- The Christopher Center-Specialized Dementia and Alzheimer's Care
- Nursing Center Featuring Spacious Private and Semi-Private Accommodations
We Listen. We love. We Care. We Serve.
- Art, Music and Fellowship
- Daily Activities, Trips and Social Program, Regular Exercise Classes
- Individualized Care Plans and Award Winning Memory Care
- Screened Porch with Rockers
- Family Night Buffet and Entertainment
We Listen. We Love. We Care. We Serve.
- Farm to Table Dining and nutritional meals and snacks are served in one of our elegant dining rooms
- Thanks to two enthusiastic Activities Directors on staff and many caring volunteers, Churchland House is bustling with activity for residents of all abilities
- Residents can enjoy time in the property's new Solarium, which exits onto to a furnished courtyard - perfect for energizing fresh air and peaceful reflection
- For those looking for the front-porch comforts of home, Churchland House offers a sunroom full of warmth and views of the outdoors
- Award Winning Memory Care
8 Memory Care Communities in the Norfolk Area
There's nothing like living near the ocean -- the breezes, the views, the warm days.
- All-Inclusive Rates-No Hidden Fees
- Fine Dining with Delicious Home Cooked Meals
- Dedicated,Secure Dementia Wing
- 24-Hour Professional Nursing Staff
- Interesting and Varied Recreational Opportunities
Memory Care Is All We Do!
- Our community is built around our original Town Center and Neighborhood layout which features friendly common spaces
- Four residential neighborhoods encompassing the stages of memory loss
- The latest in science, nutrition and interactive therapies proven to extend the longevity and the quality of life
- Common areas include an inviting kitchen, dining room, family rooms, and walking paths within enclosed courtyards and large porch areas
- Customized care, services, design and layout to meet individual's specific daily living needs
A fresh approach to assisted living...the neighborhood concept
- 6403 Granby St, Norfolk, VA 23505
- Assisted Living, Private one and two Bedroom Suites
- Respite Care for up to 30 days
- Specialized Alzheimer's and Dementia Care Neighborhood
- Activities led by licensed Recreation Therapist
- 24 hour supervision by nursing staff
A Hampton Roads full-service Continuing Care Retirement Community.
- One Colley Avenue, Norfolk, VA 23510
- Restaurant style dinning, 3 meals daily
- Personalized activities program with organized outings/Holistic fitness program
- 24-hour nursing coverage/Medication administration
- Utilities included (except telephone)/Emergency response system
- 33 private spacious apartments/Daily housekeeping
The Waterford at Virginia Beach is the perfect retreat for seniors looking to settle down while enjoying access to first-rate amenities and convenient services.
- 5417 Wesleyan Dr, Virginia Beach, VA 23455
- Speciality Care in Alzheimer's and Dementia Care.
- Elegant On-Site Dining Room Including 3 meals Daily W/Menu Choices
- 24 Hour Professionally Trained Staff
- Weekly Housekeeping, Personal Laundry & Linens Included.
- Close monitoring of residents whereabouts and condition, including daytime, evening and nighttime checks
The next generation of care
- 6401 Auburn Dr, Virginia Beach, VA 23464
- JCAHO Goal Seal Accreditation
- 24 Hour Licensed Nursing Professional
- Alzheimer's Specialty Unit
- Recreational & Activities Program
- Convenient Location
When it feels like home, It must be Karolwood Gardens at Portsmouth
- One Bon Secours Way, Portsmouth, VA 23703
- All Inclusive Rates
- Several Suite Styles & Sizes To Choose From/Screened Porch Overlooking Courtyard
- Planned Outings and Off Site Activities/Full Time CNA's and LPN
- 3 Meals Served Daily With 2 Snacks
- Respite Care (30 Days or Less)
Artful Senior Living in Virginia Beach, Virginia
- 2077 S. Independence Blvd, Virginia Beach, VA 23453
- No costly buy-in/No long-term leases
- Affordable monthly rent
- Chef-inspired meals
- Large spacious apartments
- State-of-the-art emergency call system
Other Memory Care Communities in the Norfolk Area
Brookdale Virginia Beach
Exceptional Memory Care in Virginia Beach!
- 937 Diamond Springs Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23455
- Morning Mental Workout - Daily late morning mental exercises including discussions, brain stimulating games, and reminiscing.
- Daily Physical Activity - A variety of exercise opportunities including group exercises, walking programs and dancing.
- Daily Life Skills - Individual or group activities that provide a sense of purpose, meaning, and belonging.
- Person Centered Life Enrichment Programming - Activities are designed using the resident's own social history information as a foundation.
The Gardens of Virginia Beach
Senior Living Community in Virginia Beach, Virginia: The Gardens of Virginia Beach
- 5620 Wesleyan Drive, Virginia Beach, VA 23455
- Three delicious, well-balanced meals served daily,
- Housekeeping, personal laundry & linen service,
- Daily activities and programs including physical-fitness, creative, social, learning and spiritual.
- Trained staff available 24 hours a day.
- Highly trained staff in Alzheimer's/Dementia care
The Lipton House
It's Not "Home-Like"... it's Home!
- Near VB Town Center, Virginia Beach, VA 23462
- Resident Centered Care Plans
- Three Healthy Meals & Snacks Daily
- Housekeeping & Laundry Services
- Physical,Occupational & Speech Therapy, Hospice Services
- Private or Semi-private Rooms & Bathrooms
See What Modern Senior Living Looks Like
- 1508 Volvo Parkway, Chesapeake, VA 23320
- First-rate amenities, entertainment and activities. Fun with Food. Education and Recreation.
- Wellness Support, nutrition counseling, regular care assessments and daily exercise and wellness classes
- Delicious and nutritious culinary options
- Specialized trained staff and team of caregivers
- Flexible respite services available & spacious floor plans
What is Dementia, Alzheimer’s, & Memory Care?
Memory Care is a long-term residential care option in senior housing that provides specialized, around-the-clock care to older adults living with all types of dementia. Memory Care, also referred to as Alzheimer’s Care or Dementia Care, may become necessary once cognitive disorders reach a stage that makes living at home or receiving care at home too difficult. It’s common to find a Memory Care unit within an Assisted Living community, often in a specialized building or neighborhood. Memory Care housing may also be found in a Continuing Care Retirement Community, a Skilled Nursing Facility, Nursing Home or as a standalone entity or community.
Dementia vs Alzheimer’s
Dementia is a broad term applied to a group of symptoms related to a decline in mental function that is severe enough to interfere with daily living. Huntington’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and traumatic brain injuries are all linked to dementia. Alzheimer’s is a specific brain disorder, and the most common form of dementia, that destroys memory and cognitive skills over time. Both dementia and Alzheimer’s may result in memory loss, mood swings, speech impairment, confusion/hallucinations and incontinence.
When Might Memory Care be Necessary?
It may be time to look into a memory care community if you’re concerned for your loved one’s health and safety due to one or more of the following issues:
- Wandering from home or getting lost on familiar routes
- Forgetting to turn off stoves or other appliances
- Changes in personality, such as aggression or hostility
- Misplacing items and forgetting important dates and names
- Incoherent thoughts and speech
- Impaired judgment
- Physical changes, including weight loss, poor hygiene and falls or unexplained bruises
- Unpaid bills, insufficient or spoiled food in the home, pets and/or housekeeping are neglected
- Changes in health and behavior that are beyond your family’s ability to manage
What is the Difference between Memory Care and Assisted Living?
Memory Care and Assisted Living communities both providing housing, meals, and assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs), such as bathing, dressing, toileting and walking. However, Memory Care communities offer additional features that are specifically designed to help residents with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia, in the following areas:
- Safety: Memory Care communities typically have locked entrances and exits with keypad codes, door alarms and enclosed outdoor spaces. Staff will also escort residents to and from meals and activities.
- Layout: Soothing spaces, color-coded walls and common rooms clearly marked with pictures to help reduce confusion.
- Activities: While both Assisted Living and Memory Care communities both offer activities that encourage socialization, Memory Care communities often include therapies and exercises that help maintain cognitive skills and increase relaxation, such as occupational, art or music therapies. They also have predictable schedules and follow set routines.
- Staff and Training: The staff in a Memory Care community are trained to manage wandering, and to redirect behaviors common to dementia, such as agitation, confusion, aggression and anxiety. There is 24/7 care, a higher staff-resident ratio and personalized care plans.
A Memory Care community can offer your loved one more independence, engagement, safety and specialized support, along with peace of mind for you. Begin your search for a Memory Care community using our US map above. Our search results include facility pictures, descriptions, floor plans and pricing where available.