7 Memory Care Communities in the Mobile Area
Welcome to Knollwood Pointe - Assisted Living in Mobile
5601 Girby Road, Mobile, AL 36693
- Fresh, seasonal cuisine, served restaurant style
- Beautician & barber services
- Scheduled transportation for shopping, excursions and appointments
- Weekly flat, towel and personal linen services
- 24-hour licensed nursing staff
Comfort, Safety and Security
954 Navco Road, Mobile, AL 36605
- Short-term rehab
- Recreational and social services
- Beauty and Barber shop
- Optometry Services
- X-ray and lab test availability
PROVIDING PEACE OF MIND
4720 Morrison Drive, Mobile, AL 36609
- Bathing, grooming, and dressing assistance, pharmacy coordination and medication administration
- Group and individualized activities
- In-house rehabilitation programs
- 24/7 response and support
- Delicious meals served restaurant-style each day
Experience a lifestyle that offers everything you want
901 Somerby Drive, Mobile, AL 36695
- Daily breakfast buffet and choice of either lunch or dinner served in The Château Restaurant, featuring multiple entree options prepared by our chef
- Many unique floor plans - one- and two-bedroom options
- Day spa with hair styling, manicure and pedicure stations
- Gracious veranda with spectacular views
- Masterpiece Living®, a research-based initiative developed in partnership with the Mayo Clinic, brings residents an exclusive, groundbreaking approach to a lifestyle of whole-person wellness
Assisted Living and Memory Care - Introducing Proveer at Heritage Woods
3440 Hillcrest Rd, Mobile, AL 36695
- Private and shared assisted living and memory care apartments
- Charming, home-like community setting
- Common areas for socializing, dining and entertaining
- Easy access for those with limited mobility
- Activities of daily living assistance (bathing, dressing, and grooming)
Opt Out of Average Senior Living
27440 County Road 13, Daphne, AL 36526
- Three nutritious meals served daily in the community dining room
- Snacks are always available
- Laundry and housekeeping services
- Secured Memory Care Community
- Structured activities and social programs
Assisted Living | Memory Care | Respite
11626 US Highway 90, Daphne, AL 36526
- Concierge available to schedule medical appointments, activities, family visits and accommodate other resident needs
- Personal pendant and suite pull chords provided to residents to summon assistance
- Three delicious, well-balanced meals served restaurant-style daily, featuring specials and a variety of menu choices, with snacks available throughout the day
- Rehabilitation facility providing physical, speech and occupational therapy services
- Luxurious suites with views to courtyards or surroundings, resident laundry rooms
What is Dementia, Alzheimer’s, & Memory Care?
Memory Care is a long-term residential care option in senior housing that provides specialized, around-the-clock care to older adults living with all types of dementia. Memory Care, also referred to as Alzheimer’s Care or Dementia Care, may become necessary once cognitive disorders reach a stage that makes living at home or receiving care at home too difficult. It’s common to find a Memory Care unit within an Assisted Living community, often in a specialized building or neighborhood. Memory Care housing may also be found in a Continuing Care Retirement Community, a Skilled Nursing Facility, Nursing Home or as a standalone entity or community.
Dementia vs Alzheimer’s
Dementia is a broad term applied to a group of symptoms related to a decline in mental function that is severe enough to interfere with daily living. Huntington’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and traumatic brain injuries are all linked to dementia. Alzheimer’s is a specific brain disorder, and the most common form of dementia, that destroys memory and cognitive skills over time. Both dementia and Alzheimer’s may result in memory loss, mood swings, speech impairment, confusion/hallucinations and incontinence.
When Might Memory Care be Necessary?
It may be time to look into a memory care community if you’re concerned for your loved one’s health and safety due to one or more of the following issues:
- Wandering from home or getting lost on familiar routes
- Forgetting to turn off stoves or other appliances
- Changes in personality, such as aggression or hostility
- Misplacing items and forgetting important dates and names
- Incoherent thoughts and speech
- Impaired judgment
- Physical changes, including weight loss, poor hygiene and falls or unexplained bruises
- Unpaid bills, insufficient or spoiled food in the home, pets and/or housekeeping are neglected
- Changes in health and behavior that are beyond your family’s ability to manage
What is the Difference between Memory Care and Assisted Living?
Memory Care and Assisted Living communities both providing housing, meals, and assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs), such as bathing, dressing, toileting and walking. However, Memory Care communities offer additional features that are specifically designed to help residents with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia, in the following areas:
- Safety: Memory Care communities typically have locked entrances and exits with keypad codes, door alarms and enclosed outdoor spaces. Staff will also escort residents to and from meals and activities.
- Layout: Soothing spaces, color-coded walls and common rooms clearly marked with pictures to help reduce confusion.
- Activities: While both Assisted Living and Memory Care communities both offer activities that encourage socialization, Memory Care communities often include therapies and exercises that help maintain cognitive skills and increase relaxation, such as occupational, art or music therapies. They also have predictable schedules and follow set routines.
- Staff and Training: The staff in a Memory Care community are trained to manage wandering, and to redirect behaviors common to dementia, such as agitation, confusion, aggression and anxiety. There is 24/7 care, a higher staff-resident ratio and personalized care plans.
A Memory Care community can offer your loved one more independence, engagement, safety and specialized support, along with peace of mind for you. Begin your search for a Memory Care community using our US map above. Our search results include facility pictures, descriptions, floor plans and pricing where available.