1 Featured Memory Care Communities in the Asheville Area
Redefining Senior Living
- 24-Hour Resident Care Staff
- Restaurant-Style Dining
- All-Inclusive Memory Care Rates
- Scheduled Transportation
- Single-Story, Pet Friendly Community
1 Memory Care Communities in the Asheville Area
The Next Best Thing to Being at Home!
- 251 Shelton St, Waynesville, NC 28786
Other Memory Care Communities in the Asheville Area
Harmony at Reynolds Mountain
Family Serving Families
- 41 Cobblers Way, Asheville, NC 28804
- Beautiful, Spacious Apartments
- Convenient Location Near Parks, Shopping, Dining & Art
- Delicious & Nutritious Meals Prepared by an Executive Chef
- Full Calendar of Activities, Cultural Events & Celebrations
- Transportation to Shopping & Medical Appointments
Brookdale Asheville Walden Ridge
Exceptional Senior Living
- 4 Walden Ridge Road, Asheville, NC 28803
- Emergency alert system
- Private or semi-private accommodations
- Assistance with personal needs
- Life Enrichment Program
- Staffed 24 hours a day
Arbor Terrace of Asheville
Quality, state-of-the-art assisted living and memory care in North Carolina's beautiful Asheville area.
- 3199 Sweeten Creek Road, Asheville, NC 28803
- With several comfortable settings for dining, residents can enjoy chef-prepared favorites that appeal to the most particular tastes.
- Residents enjoy a community floor plan and layout designed to reduce falls and confusion while maximizing independence and freedom for the perfect mix of safety and comfort.
- High-quality care provided in association with local hospitals and universities for the best of health in aging.
- We offer opportunities for age and health-appropriate rehabilitation and exercise, as well as occupational and speech therapy.
- Our grounds offer places to participate in a gardening activity with friends, take a leisurely stroll, or just relax and enjoy the beautiful weather.
Pacifica Senior Living Heritage Hills - NC
Alzheimer's and Dementia Care in Hendersonville, NC
- 3200 Heritage Circle, Hendersonville, NC 28791
- Assistance with activities of daily living (bathing, dressing, eating, grooming, etc.)
- Escort to meal and planned activities
- Medication management/Cueing/Incontinence care
- Transfer assistance/Dietary monitoring
- Behavioral interventions/Life enrichment programming
Carolina Reserve of Hendersonville
Premier Assisted Living and Memory Care in Hendersonville, NC
- 1820 Pisgah Drive, Hendersonville, NC 28791
- 24-hour assistance with personal care
- Nutritious home-cooked meals
- Personal laundry and housekeeping
- Basic cable
- Licensed nurse
What is Dementia, Alzheimer’s, & Memory Care?
Memory Care is a long-term residential care option in senior housing that provides specialized, around-the-clock care to older adults living with all types of dementia. Memory Care, also referred to as Alzheimer’s Care or Dementia Care, may become necessary once cognitive disorders reach a stage that makes living at home or receiving care at home too difficult. It’s common to find a Memory Care unit within an Assisted Living community, often in a specialized building or neighborhood. Memory Care housing may also be found in a Continuing Care Retirement Community, a Skilled Nursing Facility, Nursing Home or as a standalone entity or community.
Dementia vs Alzheimer’s
Dementia is a broad term applied to a group of symptoms related to a decline in mental function that is severe enough to interfere with daily living. Huntington’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and traumatic brain injuries are all linked to dementia. Alzheimer’s is a specific brain disorder, and the most common form of dementia, that destroys memory and cognitive skills over time. Both dementia and Alzheimer’s may result in memory loss, mood swings, speech impairment, confusion/hallucinations and incontinence.
When Might Memory Care be Necessary?
It may be time to look into a memory care community if you’re concerned for your loved one’s health and safety due to one or more of the following issues:
- Wandering from home or getting lost on familiar routes
- Forgetting to turn off stoves or other appliances
- Changes in personality, such as aggression or hostility
- Misplacing items and forgetting important dates and names
- Incoherent thoughts and speech
- Impaired judgment
- Physical changes, including weight loss, poor hygiene and falls or unexplained bruises
- Unpaid bills, insufficient or spoiled food in the home, pets and/or housekeeping are neglected
- Changes in health and behavior that are beyond your family’s ability to manage
What is the Difference between Memory Care and Assisted Living?
Memory Care and Assisted Living communities both providing housing, meals, and assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs), such as bathing, dressing, toileting and walking. However, Memory Care communities offer additional features that are specifically designed to help residents with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia, in the following areas:
- Safety: Memory Care communities typically have locked entrances and exits with keypad codes, door alarms and enclosed outdoor spaces. Staff will also escort residents to and from meals and activities.
- Layout: Soothing spaces, color-coded walls and common rooms clearly marked with pictures to help reduce confusion.
- Activities: While both Assisted Living and Memory Care communities both offer activities that encourage socialization, Memory Care communities often include therapies and exercises that help maintain cognitive skills and increase relaxation, such as occupational, art or music therapies. They also have predictable schedules and follow set routines.
- Staff and Training: The staff in a Memory Care community are trained to manage wandering, and to redirect behaviors common to dementia, such as agitation, confusion, aggression and anxiety. There is 24/7 care, a higher staff-resident ratio and personalized care plans.
A Memory Care community can offer your loved one more independence, engagement, safety and specialized support, along with peace of mind for you. Begin your search for a Memory Care community using our US map above. Our search results include facility pictures, descriptions, floor plans and pricing where available.