4 Featured Independent Living Communities in the Suffolk Area
Welcome To Lake Prince Woods! Now Selling New Construction Villas!
- 100 Anna Goode Way, Suffolk, VA 23434
- Visit Our Website
Near Medical Facilities Pets Welcome Restaurant Style Dining Sidewalks Transportation Various Levels of Care Virtual/Video Tour
- Beautiful 172 Acre Wooded Setting and an Award-Winning Retirment Community
- Continuing Care Community Filled with Activities and a Maintenance-Free Lifestyle
- Dining Room with a Daily Specials Menu and Monthly Chef’s Table Menus to Provide Culinary Delights. More Casual Dining Options in the Bistro.
- Our Shuttle Service Makes Frequent Trips to Theaters, Sporting Events, Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia Beach, and Norfolk.
- Close to Shops, Boutiques, a Growing Arts and Cultural Scene, Top-notch Restaurants and a Variety of Outdoor Recreation Such as Golf, Tennis, Boating, and Fishing.
7 Independent Living Communities in the Suffolk Area
Opening Summer 2023 – Your next chapter begins here!
- THE LIFESTYLE YOU DESERVE
- RESORT STYLE AMENITIES
- MODERN LIVING
- DREAM LOCATION
- ATTENTION TO EVERY DETAIL, INCLUDING YOU
Independent Living | Assisted Living | Memory Care
- 5871 Harbour View Blvd, Suffolk, VA 23435
- No large, upfront entrance fees / Spacious one & two-bedroom apartments
- Washer and Dryer in all apartments / Elegant Dining Room / Theater / Pub
- Three hospitals located within seven miles
- Adjacent to small retail center, featuring Starbucks Located across the street from Harbour View West Shopping Center
- As a Harmony Senior Services community, you can expect a caring, passionate, and professional staff committed to creating an active environment at The Crossings at Harbour View
A Hampton Roads full-service Continuing Care Retirement Community.
- One Colley Avenue, Norfolk, VA 23510
- Restaurant style dinning, 3 meals daily
- Personalized activities program with organized outings/Holistic fitness program
- 24-hour nursing coverage/Medication administration
- Utilities included (except telephone)/Emergency response system
- 33 private spacious apartments/Daily housekeeping
Other Independent Living Communities in the Suffolk Area
The Orchards at Belleville Harbour
Affordable Living, Priceless Lifestyle for Adults 62 and Better!
- 1050 Belle Orchard Lane, Suffolk, VA 23435
- Apartments starting in the $600's
- Large One and Two Bedroom Floor Plans with your choice of a patio, balcony or solarium
- Fully equipped kitchens in all apartments with washer and dryer connections
- Worry free living with full maintenance staff around the clock
- A library on site with FREE internet access.
The Commons at Centerbrooke
Suffolk's #1 Active Adult Community for Aged 55 and Better!
- 1056 Centerbrooke Lane, Suffolk, VA 23434
- Newly renovated 1 & 2 bedroom apartments including washer/dryer
- Community room with scheduled activities, 24 hour fitness center
- Pet friendly including a bark park
- Ideal location with close proximity to hospital, physician offices, restaurants and much more!
- Scenic walking trails, picnic areas and community garden
Surprisingly affordably – an active, independent lifestyle, and a small, inviting community of new friends to enjoy it with!
- 4600 Peek Trail, Chesapeake, VA 23321
- 24 Hour Exercise Center
- Eat-In Kitchen with Granite Breakfast Bar
- Shower with seat
- Individual Monitoring Systems with Medical Panic Button
- 9 Foot Ceilings Throughout.
The Commons at Greenwood
Affordable Senior Apartments in Portsmouth, VA
- 205 Bedford Court, Ste. 108, Portsmouth, VA 23701
- Income Restrictions apply/ Quiet Neighborhood with beautiful courtyard and sitting areas
- Wall-to-Wall Carpet/Mini Blinds/Cable Hook up/Trash pick up at your door
- Scheduled Transportation
- Community room with scheduled activities
- Full size Washer and Dryer in each apartment with Dishwasher & Disposal
Now Leasing - Portsmouth's newest senior community
- 900 County St., Portsmouth, VA 23704
- Emergency Call System
- On-going Social Activities
- Community Room & Fitness Center
- Shuttle Bus & Planned Outings
- Clothes Care Center
Tidewater Senior Apartments
Tidewater Senior offers two-bedroom apartment homes for those 55+.
- 1446 W. Queen St #100, Hampton, VA 23669
- On-Site Professional Management
- Planned Activities
- 24-Hour Emergency Maintenance
- On City Busline
- Fully Equipped Kitchen
Life as it should be...
- One Harbor Court, Portsmouth, VA 23704
- Concierge Service/Evening & Weekend Valet Service
- Controlled Access
- Reserved Garage Parking
- Community Room & Social Activities
- Outdoor Riverside Pool & Deck/BBQ Grilling & Picinic Area
What are Retirement Communities?
Retirement communities are often also called independent living communities, because they are designed for seniors who are able to live independently, with no need for daily personal or medical care. They are generally mid-to large-sized campus-style communities that offer a wide variety of activities and conveniences for residents.
If this sounds similar to an active adult or 55+ community, that is because retirement and active adult communities share some core commonalities. These often include providing exterior home and lawn maintenance, planned social activities, communal spaces and outdoor amenities such as tennis courts, golf courses or swimming pools. The benefits of living in a retirement community are generally the same as living in other types of senior housing: more opportunities for social engagement, more free time to spend pursuing hobbies and low-maintenance living. Retirement communities take low-maintenance living to an even higher level than active adult communities, because the following are often included, with other services available a la carte:
• Meals – 3x/day, served in a dining room
• Linen and laundry service
• Interior home maintenance
• Scheduled transportation to shopping, medical appointments and other errands
• 24-hr staff and onsite-healthcare in case of emergency
As in most types of senior housing, the size and style of home varies from community to community, from studio apartments to large villas, often with many styles available within the same campus. While the homes may differ in size, most will have features that are designed with seniors in mind, such as:
• One-level living
• Wide doorways
• Walk-in showers
• Low thresholds
• Emergency call systems
And while every community is unique, many will offer the same types of amenities and benefits to residents, all aimed at allowing them to live easier, more engaged and fulfilling lives. Most retirement communities provide an even broader range of amenities than those found in active adult communities, including:
• Daily scheduled activities, fitness classes or crafts
• On-site salons, libraries and chapels
• Game rooms
• Community meeting spaces such as club houses and bistros
• Private dining rooms for special family meals
• Community excursions
Some independent living communities are located within larger campuses that also offer assisted living, skilled nursing and memory care services; these campuses are called Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs). They offer a full range of senior care to residents as they age and their health needs change. CCRCs allow residents to age in place, and stay within the same overall community, as they move from one level of care to the next. A CCRC is especially helpful if one spouse has different care needs than the other. Even if one spouse is in a higher-level care facility, couples are still close enough to see each other every day and are able to enjoy the same amenities and activities.
Use our US map above to begin your search for the best retirement communities for you or your loved one.