7 Independent Living Communities in the Newton Area
Senior Living in Sussex County, New Jersey
- 200 Bristol Glen Dr, Newton, NJ 07860
- Privacy and security on a 74-acre wooded campus
- Meal plans and dining experiences, or room service if you prefer
- A complete calendar of social events, clubs and exercise programs, assistance with technology
- Access to the onsite gym, pool, hair salon, store and post office.
- Access to skilled nursing onsite 24/7, medication management and health monitoring
A Unique Retirement Community
- 430 Schooleys Mountain Rd, Hackettstown, NJ 07840
- One-story, maintenance-free living
- Multiple dining venues including the Village Cafe, The Heritage Room and Paddy's Pub
- Well-equipped woodworking shop, craft Room, auditorium, gift shoppe
- Outdoor, heated swimming pool, tennis court, bocce ball court, golf course (3-hole pitch 'n putt), extensive community garden
- Transportation around campus, to shopping trips, churches, medical offices
Randolph Senior Living, Assisted Living, and Memory Care
- 175 Quaker Church Rd, Randolph, NJ 07869
- Studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments
- Café with coffee and snacks, newspapers, and TV
- Well-stocked library with computer access stations
- Fitness center with state-of-the-art senior-friendly equipment
- Trained staff on site 24 hours a day, security-controlled entrances
Come home to The Chelsea At Bald Eagle!
- 197 Cahill Cross Road, West Milford, NJ 07480
- 24-hour professional trained staff
- Full-time registered nurse (RN)
- On-site physical, occupational and speech therapy
- Assisted living and independent living suites
- Restaurant-style dining room with delicious, nutritious menu choices
An uncommonly good place to live
- 21 Richmond Rd, West Milford, NJ 07480
- Over 10 hours of weekly programming, i.e., aerobics, yoga, zumba, caring crafters, ice cream socials, trivia, aquacise, bi-monthly hikes and weekly golf outings.
- Monthly lunches with entertainment, annual overnight trips, frequent day trips
- Game/billiard room, heated pool, craft room, media center, greenhouse, designated car washing area with hose
- Monthly blood pressure checks, an annual flu clinic and quality health education
- Full-time maintenance department
Welcome to Cedar Crest Senior Living in Northern New Jersey
- 1 Cedar Crest Dr, Pompton Plains, NJ 07444
- On-site medical center and specialty medical suite
- Choose from seven unique dining venues, including The Fireside Restaurant, The Oak Room, and Mountainside Cafe.
- All-season aquatics center
- Interfaith chapel, Performing arts center, Creative arts studio
- CVS Pharmacy and store on-site, Lakeland Bank and ATM
Nurturing the spirit of life
- 500 Southern Boulevard, Chatham, NJ 07928
- Delicious restaurant-style dining, snacks and guest meals prepared by our Chef
- Exciting and diverse recreational and leisure activities with professional entertainers and weekly exercise program.
- Specially trained, licensed nursing professionals on call 24 hours per day, with ability to accommodate aging in place
- Scheduled transportation services for doctor's visits, shopping, dining and special events
- Daily housekeeping and weekly laundry and linen services
What are Retirement Communities?
Retirement communities are often also called independent living communities, because they are designed for seniors who are able to live independently, with no need for daily personal or medical care. They are generally mid-to large-sized campus-style communities that offer a wide variety of activities and conveniences for residents.
If this sounds similar to an active adult or 55+ community, that is because retirement and active adult communities share some core commonalities. These often include providing exterior home and lawn maintenance, planned social activities, communal spaces and outdoor amenities such as tennis courts, golf courses or swimming pools. The benefits of living in a retirement community are generally the same as living in other types of senior housing: more opportunities for social engagement, more free time to spend pursuing hobbies and low-maintenance living. Retirement communities take low-maintenance living to an even higher level than active adult communities, because the following are often included, with other services available a la carte:
• Meals – 3x/day, served in a dining room
• Linen and laundry service
• Interior home maintenance
• Scheduled transportation to shopping, medical appointments and other errands
• 24-hr staff and onsite-healthcare in case of emergency
As in most types of senior housing, the size and style of home varies from community to community, from studio apartments to large villas, often with many styles available within the same campus. While the homes may differ in size, most will have features that are designed with seniors in mind, such as:
• One-level living
• Wide doorways
• Walk-in showers
• Low thresholds
• Emergency call systems
And while every community is unique, many will offer the same types of amenities and benefits to residents, all aimed at allowing them to live easier, more engaged and fulfilling lives. Most retirement communities provide an even broader range of amenities than those found in active adult communities, including:
• Daily scheduled activities, fitness classes or crafts
• On-site salons, libraries and chapels
• Game rooms
• Community meeting spaces such as club houses and bistros
• Private dining rooms for special family meals
• Community excursions
Some independent living communities are located within larger campuses that also offer assisted living, skilled nursing and memory care services; these campuses are called Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs). They offer a full range of senior care to residents as they age and their health needs change. CCRCs allow residents to age in place, and stay within the same overall community, as they move from one level of care to the next. A CCRC is especially helpful if one spouse has different care needs than the other. Even if one spouse is in a higher-level care facility, couples are still close enough to see each other every day and are able to enjoy the same amenities and activities.
Use our US map above to begin your search for the best retirement communities for you or your loved one.