1 Featured Independent Living Communities in the Newport News Area
Resort Style Waterfront Living
- Solarium with 360 Breathtaking Views
- 30 Meals a Month at Two of Our On-site Restaurants
- 24 / 7 Maintenance and Concierge and Bi-Weekly Housekeeping
- Complimentary Transportation to Doctors and Shopping
- Membership at Our Hygeia Health Club with Indoor Heated Pool
7 Independent Living Communities in the Newport News Area
Welcome to The Hidenwood, Nestled in the Woods of Newport News
- Life Enrichment Program and Wellness Program
- A Variety of Social, Educational, and Cultural Opportunities are Available Every Day
- Chef Prepared Meals Served Restaurant-Style
- Walking Trail with LifeTrail Equipment. Individual Raised Gardening Areas
- Spacious, Apartment Style Living
Because People Make the Place
- Independent and Assisted Living, Secure Memory Care and Respite Stays.
- 24-hour Team Including LPN Supervision, Maintenance and Housekeeping
- Individualized Service Plans for Each Assisted Living Resident
- Social Activities and a Full Time Life Enrichment Director
- Transportation to Doctor's Appointments and Other Activities
Welcome to The Devonshire, Live Happy, You Deserve it!
Independent Living From - $2060 - $3450 / Assisted Living From - $3249 - $3999
- Security, emergency maintenance and medical access 24 hours a day
- Beautiful landscaping with private gardens
- Utilities included except phone, internet and cable
- Free housekeeping and laundry facilities
- Scheduled activities and free transportation
An Upscale Senior Living Community Coming Soon to Yorktown, VA
- Artful Dining®: The Yorktown, VA area is filled with a bounty of fresh ingredients our chefs craft into seasonal menus, featuring dishes making this part of the country legendary.
- Zestful Activities®: We have scheduled outings for shopping and entertainment around the area.
- Heartful Care®: From wellness programs to the latest health trends, to our friendly 24/7 staff, you can have peace-of-mind that southern-style care is always available.
- HEARTS® Welcome Program: One of our signature programs, is your grand entrance into the community stress free.
- Nothing is more important to us than making sure your decision to move into our community meets your expectations and satisfaction.
Senior Living in Newport News Virginia
- 955 Harpersville Road, Newport News, VA 23601
- Full service Continuing Care Retirement Community
- Offers true Life Care and Fee for Services financial arrangements
- Nursing care center has received zero deficiencies in 11 of the last 12 annual surveys
- Located on 35 spacious acres convenient to City Center of Newport News and I-64
- Promotes a healthy and active lifestyle through classes, fitness center, swimming pool, and one-on-one personal consultation
AFFORDABLE LIVING IN NEWPORT NEWS, VA
- 900 Daphia Circle, Newport News, VA 23601
- Newly Renovated Apartments
- Resident Lounge
- Beautiful Courtyard and 24 Hour Maintenance
- Near Riverside Regional Medical Center and Virginia Living Museum
- On-Site Management
Home of Exceptional Service & Value For Seniors 55 & Better
- 101 Arboretum Way, Newport News, VA 23602
- Shuttle Service To Doctors, Shopping & Dining
- Library/Social Hall w/Planned Activities
- Elevator Access, Emergency Pull Cords
- Onsite Beauty Salon
- Picnic and Garden area/Paved Walkways Around Lovely Landscaped Grounds
Other Independent Living Communities in the Newport News Area
Welcome to Lexington Commons Senior Living Apartments in Denbigh Area Newport News, VA
- 14534 Old Courthouse Way, Newport News, VA 23608
- The Peace of Mind of a Maintenance Free Lifestyle
- Secured Access Entry with Intercom and Keypad System
- Monitored 24-hour Emergency Pull Cord System in Bedrooms and Bathrooms
- Scheduled Transportation for Shopping, Outings and Excursions
- Movie Room, Billiards, Fitness Center and More
Forrest Pines Senior Community
BRAND NEW apartment community thoughtfully designed for active adults 62 or better.
- 500 Big Forrest Court, Newport News, VA 23608
- Lush landscaped grounds with screened porches. Shuttle Bus to take you out to shows, shopping, dining and more
- Arts and Crafts and Game Rooms, Fitness Center, Beauty Salon, Beautiful community room with fireplace
- Elevators, Monitored entrance, Water included, Swimming pool, Indoor mailboxes & controlled access entry
- Spacious layouts, Walk-in showers, Bath features: grab bars and slip resistant tubs
- Emergency call system, Free Cox cable with up to 81 channels, Bright open kitchens with breakfast bar area, Patio or balcony, Washer and dryer connections in each apartment
Beautiful Retirement Apartments in Hampton Virginia!
- 215 Marcella Ave, Hampton, VA 23666
- Affordable Living
- Secure Building
- Emergency Call System
- Raised Gardening Beds for Resident Use
- Small Pets Welcome
Somerset At Town Center
Welcome to the luxury and comfort of Hampton's most exciting new senior community!
- 211 Marcella Road, Hampton, VA 23666
- Located in the heart of Peninsula Town Center
- Private Shuttle Bus to transport you to some of the area’s finest shopping, dining and entertainment.
- Arts and Crafts Room, Fitness Center & Beauty Salon
- Beautiful Community Room with Fireplace
- Monitored Entrance & Elevators
Tidewater Senior Apartments
Tidewater Senior offers two-bedroom apartment homes for those 55+.
- 1446 W. Queen St #100, Hampton, VA 23669
- On-Site Professional Management
- Planned Activities
- 24-Hour Emergency Maintenance
- On City Busline
- Fully Equipped Kitchen
The Woodlands at Phoebus
Nestled conveniently in the Phoebus section of Hampton, VA – The Woodlands at Phoebus is a vibrant community for residents 62 and better!
- 54 Woodland Road, Hampton, VA 23663
- Apartments: Spacious Layouts, Walk In Showers, Microwave, Emergency Call System
- Bright Open Kitchens with Large Island, Stainless Steel Appliances
- Free Water and Cable, Central Air & Heat, Washer & Dryer in Unit
- Community: Lush Landscape, Outdoor Sitting Area, Media Rooms
- Shuttle Bus to Shopping, Fitness Center, Elevators, Monitored Entrance and More!
Independent Retirement Living in Yorktown VA
- 2405 Ft Eustis Blvd., Yorktown, VA 23692
- 3 Meals Served Daily
- Live-in Management
- Game Room
- Walk-in Closets
What are Retirement Communities?
Retirement communities are often also called independent living communities, because they are designed for seniors who are able to live independently, with no need for daily personal or medical care. They are generally mid-to large-sized campus-style communities that offer a wide variety of activities and conveniences for residents.
If this sounds similar to an active adult or 55+ community, that is because retirement and active adult communities share some core commonalities. These often include providing exterior home and lawn maintenance, planned social activities, communal spaces and outdoor amenities such as tennis courts, golf courses or swimming pools. The benefits of living in a retirement community are generally the same as living in other types of senior housing: more opportunities for social engagement, more free time to spend pursuing hobbies and low-maintenance living. Retirement communities take low-maintenance living to an even higher level than active adult communities, because the following are often included, with other services available a la carte:
• Meals – 3x/day, served in a dining room
• Linen and laundry service
• Interior home maintenance
• Scheduled transportation to shopping, medical appointments and other errands
• 24-hr staff and onsite-healthcare in case of emergency
As in most types of senior housing, the size and style of home varies from community to community, from studio apartments to large villas, often with many styles available within the same campus. While the homes may differ in size, most will have features that are designed with seniors in mind, such as:
• One-level living
• Wide doorways
• Walk-in showers
• Low thresholds
• Emergency call systems
And while every community is unique, many will offer the same types of amenities and benefits to residents, all aimed at allowing them to live easier, more engaged and fulfilling lives. Most retirement communities provide an even broader range of amenities than those found in active adult communities, including:
• Daily scheduled activities, fitness classes or crafts
• On-site salons, libraries and chapels
• Game rooms
• Community meeting spaces such as club houses and bistros
• Private dining rooms for special family meals
• Community excursions
Some independent living communities are located within larger campuses that also offer assisted living, skilled nursing and memory care services; these campuses are called Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs). They offer a full range of senior care to residents as they age and their health needs change. CCRCs allow residents to age in place, and stay within the same overall community, as they move from one level of care to the next. A CCRC is especially helpful if one spouse has different care needs than the other. Even if one spouse is in a higher-level care facility, couples are still close enough to see each other every day and are able to enjoy the same amenities and activities.
Use our US map above to begin your search for the best retirement communities for you or your loved one.