1 Featured 55 Plus Living Communities in the Washington Area
Putting the "Golden" Back in Golden Years.
- We believe that if a community's focus is strictly on care, they don't care enough. At Tribute at The Glen, great care is just a by-product of bigger and better things.
- We believe that our team members are what make our community, a real community. There is nothing like seeing warm familiar smiles, and friends to know that you're in a place you can call your own.
- Our independent living options give you peace of mind and lock-and-go freedom to travel, visit friends and family, and do the things you’ve always wanted to do.
- The Cadence Living Revere Memory Care℠ approach uses relationship-based care centered on your loved one’s individual needs to engage the body, mind and spirit with a holistic program curriculum
- Assisted Living is for people who value their independence and are competently in charge of their lives, but need some extra assistance with daily activities.
5 55 Plus Living Communities in the Washington Area
Live a Lifestyle You’ll Love!
- 1330 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20005
- Spacious apartments with multiple floor plans and dramatic views
- Full kitchens with maple cabinetry and ceramic floors
- Rooftop pool and patio
- On-site wellness center
- To meet the dietary needs of our residents, Thomas Circle is pleased to offer a variety of specialty meals, including diabetic, no added salt, and vegetarian.
Suburban Convenience Engaged Living
- 3440 S Jefferson St, Bailey's Crossroads, VA 22041
- With 29 different floor plans, it's easy to select a size and design that matches your preferences
- Penthouse party room with spectacular view of the Washington, DC, skyline
- Private dining areas and special rooms for private parties, dinners and other resident functions
- A holistic wellness/fitness program, including a health club and swimming pool with whirlpool spa and sauna
- Library with reference center, considerable large-print book selection, current titles, current periodicals and by Goodwin House resident authors
Welcome Home & to Engaged Living
- 4800 Fillmore Ave, Alexandria, VA 22311
- A roof terrace with spectacular view of the Washington, D.C. skyline
- Choice of formal, casual and outdoor dining
- A holistic wellness/fitness program, including a fitness center and swimming pool with Jacuzzi
- Woodworking shop/Game room/Art center/Computer center with high-speed Internet access
- Guest rooms for visitors
The Life You Want. The Care You Need. The Joy of Every Day.
- 8300 Burdette Road, Bethesda, MD 20817
- Gracious accommodations with a variety of floor plans
- Up to three delicious, well-balanced meals served daily featuring a variety of menu choices with snacks available throughout the day
- Trained staff available 24 hours a day
- Monthly wellness visits by a licensed on-staff nurse
- Weekly housekeeping and daily trash removal
Experience Residences at Vantage Point - Columbia's leader in senior living.
- 5400 Vantage Point Road, Columbia, MD 21044
- Business center offering personal computers, printers and high-speed Internet access
- Beauty salon and barber shop, making it easy to look your best
- Convenience store and gift shop, offering quick and easy shopping
- Fresh, ever-changing and delicious . that's the idea behind the exceptional menu and dining options at Vantage House.
Other 55 Plus Living Communities in the Washington Area
Luxury Apartment Community for Ages 55+
- 1000 Brightseat Road, Landover, MD 20785
- Choose from spacious studio, 1, 2 and 3-bedroom Maryland 55+ apartments, including 25 handicap-accessible homes.
- State-of-the-art fitness and wellness centers
- Comfortable lounges for relaxing with the neighbors
- Bocce ball and horseshoes
- Pet-friendly community
What are Active Adult and 55+ Communities?
Active Adult and 55+ Communities are geared towards older adults who are able to live independently and who don’t require the services that retirement, assisted living or memory care communities provide. Many residents still work full- or part-time. For those seniors who desire a low-maintenance lifestyle, often with resort-like amenities and organized social activities, an active adult or 55+ community may be the right option. These communities fall into two categories:
1) Age-Restricted – For 55+ communities, in order to comply with the Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995, one person must be aged 55 or older in at least 80% of the occupied housing units. The other 20% of the homes are open to younger adults, sometimes with a minimum age that is established by the community, creating the 80/20 rule. If the minimum age in the community is 62, then all residents must be aged 62 or older.
2) Age-targeted – These communities are marketed towards the 55+ population, with amenities that promote an active adult lifestyle, but there are no age restrictions.
The types of homes in an active adult neighborhood vary from community to community, as do the range of services and amenities provided. From small apartments to two- or three-bedroom single-family homes with attached garages, there’s a broad range of housing options available, with many communities offering multiple home styles. Communities can offer luxurious, resort-like features with multiple, daily planned activities, or be lower-engagement with more simple amenities. The term “active” adult does not necessarily mean physically active, although these communities often have facilities that help foster a more physically active lifestyle. Events and outings that encourage social activity are common, and opportunities for mental stimulation, through cultural excursions and enrichment classes, may also be scheduled. Amenities may include:
Tennis and pickleball courts
Fitness centers and exercise classes
Gathering spaces such as a clubhouse or lounge
Planned social activities
Classes and lectures
Clubs and interest groups
There are many benefits to living in an Active Adult or 55+ Community. These benefits include:
Location – these communities are often located near shopping, parks, restaurants, office buildings and local attractions
Low-maintenance living – exterior home maintenance and lawn care are usually provided
Neighbors of similar age – being in close proximity to people in the same stage of life makes it easier to form new friendships
Amenities – facilities and programs that promote better health, strengthen social bonds and improve or maintain mental sharpness will help keep seniors vibrant and happy
When searching for an Active Adult Community, be sure to keep in mind which amenities are best suited to your lifestyle, choose a location that provides access to what is important to you and take any rules or fees into account.
Use our US map above to begin your search for Active Adult and 55+ communities. Our search results include pictures, floor plans, contact info and pricing where available.