3 55 Plus Living Communities in the Traverse City Area
Traverse City Michigan Independent Senior Living
- 3950 Sumac Drive, Traverse City, MI 49684
- Comfortable apartments in a variety of sizes that allow you the freedom to furnish in any style that appeals to you.
- Perfectly balanced, perfectly delicious meals made from scratch and served in our restaurant-style dining room.
- We love having cats and dogs as part of our community. After all, they are part of the family.
- All of your utilities are included in your monthly rent. That includes cable TV, heat, and air conditioning, everything except your phone bill.
- We know how much seniors value their freedom, so we offer month-to-month leases with no long-term commitment. Enjoy this all-inclusive lifestyle on your terms.
A Lifestyle you Deserve, an Apartment you can Afford
- 3850 Scenic Ridge, Traverse City, MI 49684
- Spacious, yet cozy one- and two-bedroom apartments and two-bedroom cottages offering fully equipped kitchen with full-sized frost-free refrigerator, disposal and electric range
- Bathroom with step-in shower or tub
- Private balcony or patio, some with beautiful views of Grand Traverse Bay and Traverse City
- Mini-theatre for movie and television viewing
- Delicious chef-prepared dinners served daily in our elegant dining room
A Wonderful Community to Call Home
- 1400 Brigadoon Court, Traverse City, MI 49686
- Safe, secure environments
- Private one- and two-bedroom apartments
- Three chef-prepared, delicious and nutritious restaurant-style meals per day
- Impeccable housekeeping and linen service
- Social and educational events, health and well-being activities, and group outings
What are Active Adult and 55+ Communities?
Active Adult and 55+ Communities are geared towards older adults who are able to live independently and who don’t require the services that retirement, assisted living or memory care communities provide. Many residents still work full- or part-time. For those seniors who desire a low-maintenance lifestyle, often with resort-like amenities and organized social activities, an active adult or 55+ community may be the right option. These communities fall into two categories:
1) Age-Restricted – For 55+ communities, in order to comply with the Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995, one person must be aged 55 or older in at least 80% of the occupied housing units. The other 20% of the homes are open to younger adults, sometimes with a minimum age that is established by the community, creating the 80/20 rule. If the minimum age in the community is 62, then all residents must be aged 62 or older.
2) Age-targeted – These communities are marketed towards the 55+ population, with amenities that promote an active adult lifestyle, but there are no age restrictions.
The types of homes in an active adult neighborhood vary from community to community, as do the range of services and amenities provided. From small apartments to two- or three-bedroom single-family homes with attached garages, there’s a broad range of housing options available, with many communities offering multiple home styles. Communities can offer luxurious, resort-like features with multiple, daily planned activities, or be lower-engagement with more simple amenities. The term “active” adult does not necessarily mean physically active, although these communities often have facilities that help foster a more physically active lifestyle. Events and outings that encourage social activity are common, and opportunities for mental stimulation, through cultural excursions and enrichment classes, may also be scheduled. Amenities may include:
Tennis and pickleball courts
Fitness centers and exercise classes
Gathering spaces such as a clubhouse or lounge
Planned social activities
Classes and lectures
Clubs and interest groups
There are many benefits to living in an Active Adult or 55+ Community. These benefits include:
Location – these communities are often located near shopping, parks, restaurants, office buildings and local attractions
Low-maintenance living – exterior home maintenance and lawn care are usually provided
Neighbors of similar age – being in close proximity to people in the same stage of life makes it easier to form new friendships
Amenities – facilities and programs that promote better health, strengthen social bonds and improve or maintain mental sharpness will help keep seniors vibrant and happy
When searching for an Active Adult Community, be sure to keep in mind which amenities are best suited to your lifestyle, choose a location that provides access to what is important to you and take any rules or fees into account.
Use our US map above to begin your search for Active Adult and 55+ communities. Our search results include pictures, floor plans, contact info and pricing where available.