1 Featured 55 Plus Living Communities in the Topeka Area
Come as Strangers, Live as Friends
- Convenient community and in-home features make our senior living communities feel like home.
- We offer fun and energetic programs, activities and experiences that you’re sure to love, all while promoting and supporting a healthy lifestyle vital to your overall well-being.
- Envision every day spent the way you want, able to focus on your hobbies and interests. Without the stress of home repairs, you can share everyday pleasures with friends, enjoy new experiences, and create lasting memories.
- Our amenities range from movie theatres, gyms, craft rooms and so much more!
- Under Construction-Coming Soon! Connect with us today to reserve your new home!
3 55 Plus Living Communities in the Topeka Area
Topeka Kansas Independent Senior Living
- 2901 SW Armstrong, Topeka, KS 66614
- Comfortable apartments in a variety of sizes that allow you the freedom to furnish in any style that appeals to you.
- Perfectly balanced, perfectly delicious meals made from scratch and served in our restaurant-style dining room.
- We love having cats and dogs as part of our community. After all, they are part of the family.
- All of your utilities are included in your monthly rent. That includes cable TV, heat, and air conditioning, everything except your phone bill.
- We know how much seniors value their freedom, so we offer month-to-month leases with no long-term commitment. Enjoy this all-inclusive lifestyle on your terms.
The Brandon Woods at Alvamar Lifestyle: Happy, Healthy, Engaged in Life
- 1501 Inverness Drive, Lawrence, KS 66047
- Private apartment homes are available in a variety of floor plans and locations
- Our ranch-style (equity-owned) townhouses are also available offering spacious floor plans with fireplaces, private patios, full kitchens, and two–car garages.
- partment home arrangements also include all the Brandon Woods conveniences and amenities including housekeeping services and an appetizing selection of nutritious and delicious meals served in our Woodlands Restaurant
Independent Living & Retirement Community at Alvamar in Lawrence, KS
- 1510 St. Andrews Drive, Lawrence, KS 66047
- All of our apartments feature a full kitchen, sprinklers and smoke detectors, a walk-in shower with a bench, housekeeping services, and much more.
- Home-cooked lunch, made from scratch and served with a smile!
- Scheduled transportation to physician's appointments, church, entertainment, and shopping
- Emergency pendants with a response time of less than one minute!
- Regular entertainment, social programs, and Sunday services
What are Active Adult and 55+ Communities?
Active Adult and 55+ Communities are geared towards older adults who are able to live independently and who don’t require the services that retirement, assisted living or memory care communities provide. Many residents still work full- or part-time. For those seniors who desire a low-maintenance lifestyle, often with resort-like amenities and organized social activities, an active adult or 55+ community may be the right option. These communities fall into two categories:
1) Age-Restricted – For 55+ communities, in order to comply with the Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995, one person must be aged 55 or older in at least 80% of the occupied housing units. The other 20% of the homes are open to younger adults, sometimes with a minimum age that is established by the community, creating the 80/20 rule. If the minimum age in the community is 62, then all residents must be aged 62 or older.
2) Age-targeted – These communities are marketed towards the 55+ population, with amenities that promote an active adult lifestyle, but there are no age restrictions.
The types of homes in an active adult neighborhood vary from community to community, as do the range of services and amenities provided. From small apartments to two- or three-bedroom single-family homes with attached garages, there’s a broad range of housing options available, with many communities offering multiple home styles. Communities can offer luxurious, resort-like features with multiple, daily planned activities, or be lower-engagement with more simple amenities. The term “active” adult does not necessarily mean physically active, although these communities often have facilities that help foster a more physically active lifestyle. Events and outings that encourage social activity are common, and opportunities for mental stimulation, through cultural excursions and enrichment classes, may also be scheduled. Amenities may include:
Tennis and pickleball courts
Fitness centers and exercise classes
Gathering spaces such as a clubhouse or lounge
Planned social activities
Classes and lectures
Clubs and interest groups
There are many benefits to living in an Active Adult or 55+ Community. These benefits include:
Location – these communities are often located near shopping, parks, restaurants, office buildings and local attractions
Low-maintenance living – exterior home maintenance and lawn care are usually provided
Neighbors of similar age – being in close proximity to people in the same stage of life makes it easier to form new friendships
Amenities – facilities and programs that promote better health, strengthen social bonds and improve or maintain mental sharpness will help keep seniors vibrant and happy
When searching for an Active Adult Community, be sure to keep in mind which amenities are best suited to your lifestyle, choose a location that provides access to what is important to you and take any rules or fees into account.
Use our US map above to begin your search for Active Adult and 55+ communities. Our search results include pictures, floor plans, contact info and pricing where available.