4 Featured 55 Plus Living Communities in the Suffolk Area
Where Neighbors Become Friends
Rents to start at $854 per month
- Beautiful Affordable Housing and an EarthCraft Certified Community
- Open Kitchen with Breakfast Bar and Spacious Floor Plan Layouts
- Two-Story Luxury Clubroom and Solar Powered Common Areas
- Proximity to Northern Suffolk’s Fine Dining and Shopping
- Beautiful Lush Landscaped Grounds with Plant Covered Porches and Views Surrounding Countryside and Tree-lined Neighborhood
Welcome To Lake Prince Woods! Now Selling New Construction Villas!
- Beautiful 172 Acre Wooded Setting and an Award-Winning Retirment Community
- Continuing Care Community Filled with Activities and a Maintenance-Free Lifestyle
- Dining Room with a Daily Specials Menu and Monthly Chef’s Table Menus to Provide Culinary Delights. More Casual Dining Options in the Bistro.
- Our Shuttle Service Makes Frequent Trips to Theaters, Sporting Events, Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia Beach, and Norfolk.
- Close to Shops, Boutiques, a Growing Arts and Cultural Scene, Top-notch Restaurants and a Variety of Outdoor Recreation Such as Golf, Tennis, Boating, and Fishing.
Luxury Senior Apartments Coming Soon To Chesapeake, VA
- Now Accepting Applications for Our Waitlist for Apartment Rentals for Ages 62+
- Two-Story Luxury Clubhouse and Fitness Center with Smart Cardio Equipment
- Open Kitchens with Breakfast Bar, Stainless Steel Kitchen Appliances, Microwave and Granite Countertops
- Energy Star Certified Living
- Slip-Resistant Tubs and Grab Bars
Affordable Living with High Rise Lifestyle
Starting at $970 for 1 Bedroom and $1190 for 2 Bedroom
- All Utilities Included! Write One Check!
- Harris Teeter Grocery Store Right Next Door
- Pergola with Grilling Area, Gardens and Park Benches
- Gorgeous Views of Norfolk Skyline and Beyond
- Controlled Entry with Intercom, Assigned Parking and Near Bus Line
5 55 Plus Living Communities in the Suffolk Area
Affordable Senior Living in Suffolk VA
- 8520 Town Point Road, Suffolk, VA 23435
- Government Subsidized/Income Qualified
- 24 Hour Emergency Call System and Maintenance Team
- Community Center with Planned Activities & Outings. Social & Wellness Program
- Transportation For Medical & Shopping
- Fully Equipped Kitchens / Laundry Center
Relaxed Living. Experience Life at The Commons at Churchland
Starting From $878 Per Month
- Community Room with Scheduled Events, Elevators
- Pet Friendly, Washer& Dryer (in select homes) Dishwasher Included
- Beautifully Landscaped Courtyard with Sitting Area
- Conveniently Located Near Shopping, Entertainment & Medical
- On-Site, Professional, Caring and Friendly Management & Maintenance Teams
Welcome to The Devonshire, Live Happy, You Deserve it!
Independent Living From - $2060 - $3450 / Assisted Living From - $3249 - $3999
- Security, emergency maintenance and medical access 24 hours a day
- Beautiful landscaping with private gardens
- Utilities included except phone, internet and cable
- Free housekeeping and laundry facilities
- Scheduled activities and free transportation
Independent Living | Assisted Living | Memory Care
- 5871 Harbour View Blvd, Suffolk, VA 23435
- No large, upfront entrance fees / Spacious one & two-bedroom apartments
- Washer and Dryer in all apartments / Elegant Dining Room / Theater / Pub
- Three hospitals located within seven miles
- Adjacent to small retail center, featuring Starbucks Located across the street from Harbour View West Shopping Center
- As a Harmony Senior Services community, you can expect a caring, passionate, and professional staff committed to creating an active environment at The Crossings at Harbour View
A Hampton Roads full-service Continuing Care Retirement Community.
- One Colley Avenue, Norfolk, VA 23510
- Restaurant style dinning, 3 meals daily
- Personalized activities program with organized outings/Holistic fitness program
- 24-hour nursing coverage/Medication administration
- Utilities included (except telephone)/Emergency response system
- 33 private spacious apartments/Daily housekeeping
Other 55 Plus Living Communities in the Suffolk Area
The Orchards at Belleville Harbour
Affordable Living, Priceless Lifestyle for Adults 62 and Better!
- 1050 Belle Orchard Lane, Suffolk, VA 23435
- Apartments starting in the $600's
- Large One and Two Bedroom Floor Plans with your choice of a patio, balcony or solarium
- Fully equipped kitchens in all apartments with washer and dryer connections
- Worry free living with full maintenance staff around the clock
- A library on site with FREE internet access.
The Commons at Centerbrooke
Suffolk's #1 Active Adult Community for Aged 55 and Better!
- 1056 Centerbrooke Lane, Suffolk, VA 23434
- Newly renovated 1 & 2 bedroom apartments including washer/dryer
- Community room with scheduled activities, 24 hour fitness center
- Pet friendly including a bark park
- Ideal location with close proximity to hospital, physician offices, restaurants and much more!
- Scenic walking trails, picnic areas and community garden
Surprisingly affordably – an active, independent lifestyle, and a small, inviting community of new friends to enjoy it with!
- 4600 Peek Trail, Chesapeake, VA 23321
- 24 Hour Exercise Center
- Eat-In Kitchen with Granite Breakfast Bar
- Shower with seat
- Individual Monitoring Systems with Medical Panic Button
- 9 Foot Ceilings Throughout.
The Commons at Greenwood
Affordable Senior Apartments in Portsmouth, VA
- 205 Bedford Court, Ste. 108, Portsmouth, VA 23701
- Income Restrictions apply/ Quiet Neighborhood with beautiful courtyard and sitting areas
- Wall-to-Wall Carpet/Mini Blinds/Cable Hook up/Trash pick up at your door
- Scheduled Transportation
- Community room with scheduled activities
- Full size Washer and Dryer in each apartment with Dishwasher & Disposal
Now Leasing - Portsmouth's newest senior community
- 900 County St., Portsmouth, VA 23704
- Emergency Call System
- On-going Social Activities
- Community Room & Fitness Center
- Shuttle Bus & Planned Outings
- Clothes Care Center
Tidewater Senior Apartments
Tidewater Senior offers two-bedroom apartment homes for those 55+.
- 1446 W. Queen St #100, Hampton, VA 23669
- On-Site Professional Management
- Planned Activities
- 24-Hour Emergency Maintenance
- On City Busline
- Fully Equipped Kitchen
Life as it should be...
- One Harbor Court, Portsmouth, VA 23704
- Concierge Service/Evening & Weekend Valet Service
- Controlled Access
- Reserved Garage Parking
- Community Room & Social Activities
- Outdoor Riverside Pool & Deck/BBQ Grilling & Picinic Area
What are Active Adult and 55+ Communities?
Active Adult and 55+ Communities are geared towards older adults who are able to live independently and who don’t require the services that retirement, assisted living or memory care communities provide. Many residents still work full- or part-time. For those seniors who desire a low-maintenance lifestyle, often with resort-like amenities and organized social activities, an active adult or 55+ community may be the right option. These communities fall into two categories:
1) Age-Restricted – For 55+ communities, in order to comply with the Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995, one person must be aged 55 or older in at least 80% of the occupied housing units. The other 20% of the homes are open to younger adults, sometimes with a minimum age that is established by the community, creating the 80/20 rule. If the minimum age in the community is 62, then all residents must be aged 62 or older.
2) Age-targeted – These communities are marketed towards the 55+ population, with amenities that promote an active adult lifestyle, but there are no age restrictions.
The types of homes in an active adult neighborhood vary from community to community, as do the range of services and amenities provided. From small apartments to two- or three-bedroom single-family homes with attached garages, there’s a broad range of housing options available, with many communities offering multiple home styles. Communities can offer luxurious, resort-like features with multiple, daily planned activities, or be lower-engagement with more simple amenities. The term “active” adult does not necessarily mean physically active, although these communities often have facilities that help foster a more physically active lifestyle. Events and outings that encourage social activity are common, and opportunities for mental stimulation, through cultural excursions and enrichment classes, may also be scheduled. Amenities may include:
Tennis and pickleball courts
Fitness centers and exercise classes
Gathering spaces such as a clubhouse or lounge
Planned social activities
Classes and lectures
Clubs and interest groups
There are many benefits to living in an Active Adult or 55+ Community. These benefits include:
Location – these communities are often located near shopping, parks, restaurants, office buildings and local attractions
Low-maintenance living – exterior home maintenance and lawn care are usually provided
Neighbors of similar age – being in close proximity to people in the same stage of life makes it easier to form new friendships
Amenities – facilities and programs that promote better health, strengthen social bonds and improve or maintain mental sharpness will help keep seniors vibrant and happy
When searching for an Active Adult Community, be sure to keep in mind which amenities are best suited to your lifestyle, choose a location that provides access to what is important to you and take any rules or fees into account.
Use our US map above to begin your search for Active Adult and 55+ communities. Our search results include pictures, floor plans, contact info and pricing where available.