2 Featured 55 Plus Living Communities in the San Antonio Area
Retirement Awaits You at The Chandler Estate in the Historic Monte Vista Neighborhood
- 1502 Howard Street, San Antonio, TX 78212
- active adult community center, retirement apartments, assisted living, nursing care and rehabilitation services.
- Scheduled transportation arrangements throughout San Antonio
- On-site barber and beauty shop with full salon services
- Full activities program with social events, educational classes, outings and trips
- On-staff chaplain and weekly ecumenical chapel services
Resort-Style, All Inclusive Luxury Senior Living
- 20302 Bulverde Road, San Antonio, TX 78259
- Visit Our Website
All Inclusive Pets Welcome Restaurant Style Dining Virtual/Video Tour
- A choice of floor plans, apartment size, and balcony/ deck options.
- Signature Freedom Dining program means professional chefs, flexible dining hours, and four meal choices every day: casual buffet, fine dining, chef's pantry, or room service.
- Travel Program: Residents can travel to any of our RLC communities in the United States to enjoy the same benefits as in their home community. With a maximum set of days within a calendar year, your stay is free.
- Stadium seating theater for movies, live music, and more!
- Live-in managers, 24-hour concierge/valet parking, and scheduled transportation. Utilities include: Cable, Internet and Phone Service. Our Main Street with amenities, like a salon, pharmacy, gift shop, and a bank. (Fee based services)
9 55 Plus Living Communities in the San Antonio Area
Retirement in the Meadows awaits you today!
- 602 Babcock Road, San Antonio, TX 78201
- Retirement living, assisted living, nursing care and rehabilitation
- Individually controlled air-conditioning/heating
- Private balconies or patios
- Convenience store
- Restaurant-style dining
San Antonio Texas Independent Senior Living
- 8645 Fredericksburg Road, San Antonio, TX 78240
- Comfortable apartments in a variety of sizes that allow you the freedom to furnish in any style that appeals to you.
- Perfectly balanced, perfectly delicious meals made from scratch and served in our restaurant-style dining room.
- We love having cats and dogs as part of our community. After all, they are part of the family.
- All of your utilities are included in your monthly rent. That includes cable TV, heat, and air conditioning, everything except your phone bill.
- We know how much seniors value their freedom, so we offer month-to-month leases with no long-term commitment. Enjoy this all-inclusive lifestyle on your terms.
Opt Out of Average Senior Living
- 2702 Cembalo Blvd., San Antonio, TX 78230
- Meal packages are included to match your lifestyle and floorplan
- Heated Swmming Pool
- Wellness Room/Spa
- Beauty & Barber Shop
- Access to the on-site Clubhouse featuring a Living Room with Fireplace, Game Room and a Swimming Pool with Spa and Cabana
The Art of Living Well
- 8103 N. Hollow, San Antonio, TX 78240
- Utilities included (except telephone and internet)
- Weekly housekeeping, linen and personal laundry
- Individually controlled heating and air conditioning
- State-of-the-art Wellness Program
- Planned social outings
The Waterford residents are an active group of seniors interested in worry-free retirement living.
- 8551 Huebner Road, San Antonio, TX 78240
- Three full meals daily
- Complimentary transportation five days a week & church Sunday morning
- On site home health agency
- Private dining room
- Exercise room & exercise program
Love the way you live.
- 20450 Huebner Rd, San Antonio, TX 78258
- Front desk staff 24/7, concierge services
- Restaurant-style dining offering three chef-prepared meals a day, showcasing multiple choices
- Card & game rooms, music/choir room, arts & crafts studio, two libraries, fishponds, indoor & outdoor walking areas
- Privileges to The Club at Sonterra for golf, tennis, fitness, swimming, dining and social events
- Scheduled transportation for shopping, church services, appointments, airport and more
Opt Out of Average Senior Living
- 11300 Wild Pine, San Antonio, TX 78253
- A PRIVATE PLACE YOU CAN CALL HOME - One, two and three-bedroom, apartment-style units come with washer and dryer connection and kitchen.
- DINING - Leave the cooking to us! Carefully crafted, nutritious dining options shape residents’ culinary experiences.
- FITNESS CENTER - Daily programming and modern equipment make the fitness center a centerpoint for the community.
- INDOOR POOL - An indoor pool, which means you can enjoy the water no matter the weather!
- DOG PARK - You’ll find the perfect place to play fetch with your fur baby. Our private dog park is something you and your four-legged friend will both love about our community.
Best Retirement Community in San Antonio, Texas
- 6870 Heuermann Rd, San Antonio, TX 78256
- ExpressionsConcierge – Transportation arrangements, reservations, and requests
- CelebrationsActivities – A full activities calendar to keep you engaged, connected, and entertained
- Dimensions Health and Fitness – Senior-centered fitness
- Impressions Housekeeping and Maintenance – Laundry, cleaning, and groundskeeping
- ConnectionsTransportation – Hassle-free chauffeur service
Luxury Senior Living in San Antonio
- 21802 Encino Commons, San Antonio, TX 78259
- Concierge Services
- Bistro Dining
- Activity Center, Fitness Center, Outdoor Pool
- Gardening, Spacious Courtyards
- On-Site Medical, Dental, & Podiatry
What are Active Adult and 55+ Communities?
Active Adult and 55+ Communities are geared towards older adults who are able to live independently and who don’t require the services that retirement, assisted living or memory care communities provide. Many residents still work full- or part-time. For those seniors who desire a low-maintenance lifestyle, often with resort-like amenities and organized social activities, an active adult or 55+ community may be the right option. These communities fall into two categories:
1) Age-Restricted – For 55+ communities, in order to comply with the Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995, one person must be aged 55 or older in at least 80% of the occupied housing units. The other 20% of the homes are open to younger adults, sometimes with a minimum age that is established by the community, creating the 80/20 rule. If the minimum age in the community is 62, then all residents must be aged 62 or older.
2) Age-targeted – These communities are marketed towards the 55+ population, with amenities that promote an active adult lifestyle, but there are no age restrictions.
The types of homes in an active adult neighborhood vary from community to community, as do the range of services and amenities provided. From small apartments to two- or three-bedroom single-family homes with attached garages, there’s a broad range of housing options available, with many communities offering multiple home styles. Communities can offer luxurious, resort-like features with multiple, daily planned activities, or be lower-engagement with more simple amenities. The term “active” adult does not necessarily mean physically active, although these communities often have facilities that help foster a more physically active lifestyle. Events and outings that encourage social activity are common, and opportunities for mental stimulation, through cultural excursions and enrichment classes, may also be scheduled. Amenities may include:
Tennis and pickleball courts
Fitness centers and exercise classes
Gathering spaces such as a clubhouse or lounge
Planned social activities
Classes and lectures
Clubs and interest groups
There are many benefits to living in an Active Adult or 55+ Community. These benefits include:
Location – these communities are often located near shopping, parks, restaurants, office buildings and local attractions
Low-maintenance living – exterior home maintenance and lawn care are usually provided
Neighbors of similar age – being in close proximity to people in the same stage of life makes it easier to form new friendships
Amenities – facilities and programs that promote better health, strengthen social bonds and improve or maintain mental sharpness will help keep seniors vibrant and happy
When searching for an Active Adult Community, be sure to keep in mind which amenities are best suited to your lifestyle, choose a location that provides access to what is important to you and take any rules or fees into account.
Use our US map above to begin your search for Active Adult and 55+ communities. Our search results include pictures, floor plans, contact info and pricing where available.