1 Featured 55 Plus Living Communities in the Port Royal Area
Resort-Style, All-Inclusive Luxury
- A choice of floor plans, apartment size, and balcony/ deck options.
- Signature Freedom Dining program means professional chefs, flexible dining hours, and four meal choices every day: casual buffet, fine dining, chef's pantry, or room service.
- Travel Program: Residents can travel to any of our RLC communities in the United States to enjoy the same benefits as in their home community. With a maximum set of days within a calendar year, your stay is free.
- Stadium seating theater for movies , live music, and more!
- Live-in managers, 24-hour concierge/valet parking, and scheduled transportation. Utilities Include: Cable, Internet and Phone Service. Our Main Street with amenities, like a salon, pharmacy, gift shop, and a bank. (Fee based services)
5 55 Plus Living Communities in the Port Royal Area
Affordable Housing at its Best!
- 1640 Ribaut Rd., Port Royal, SC 29935
- 24-Hour Emergency Maintenance
- Planned Activities
- Pet Friendly
- Game Room, Laundry Facility, Elevators
- Convenient to beaches and major shopping, dining and entertainment options
A Retirement Community Rich in Lifestyle
- 567 North Okatie Highway, Ridgeland, SC 29936
- Full, Upscale Kitchen Appliances and Oversized Garages Attached to Villas
- Restaurant-Style Dining
- Washer/Dryer in Every Unit
- Theatre, Library and Salon
- Independent, Assisted and Memory Care Available
Now is the time for Vi
- 700 TidePointe Way, Hilton Head Island, SC 29928
- Casual, bistro-style, and fine dining restaurants with table service
- Heated 25-meter indoor pool for lap swimming, instructor-led aqua fitness classes, and relaxation
- Therapeutic whirlpool
- Sunset Lounge, a fully stocked bar with top shelf liquors and fine wine
- Dog-friendly park overlooking Broad Creek
Serving the local Hilton Head Island community since 1982
- 300 Woodhaven Drive, Hilton Head Island, SC 29928
- The Seabrook offers ten (10) different condominium floor plans including: Studio, one bedroom, two bedroom and large two bedrooms with and without a den.
- A finely-appointed dining room & library
- Beauty parlor and barbershop
- Auditorium space capable of handling large gatherings (200+ seat-capacity)
- On the grounds: the heated swimming pool, woodworking shop, shuffleboard court, putting green, covered gazebos overlooking lagoons with fountains, covered walkways connecting the resident's building to the Seabrook House.
55 and Better Active Living
- 356 Latitude Boulevard, Hardeeville, SC 29927
- FINS UP! FITNESS CENTER: Fully outfitted gym / Spin Room, Aerobics Room with Virtual Personal Trainer, Indoor whirlpool spa and lap pool
- LATITUDE TOWN SQUARE: Bandshell with live music, Dancing and entertainment
- LAST MANGO THEATER: Banquet hall with stage for performances and dancing
- LATITUDE BAR & CHILL RESTAURANT: Restaurant with indoor/outdoor bar, Poolside alfresco dining and drinking, Multipurpose rooms and private dining rooms
- PARADISE POOL: Beach Entry, Cabanas, Tiki Huts, Lawn Games
What are Active Adult and 55+ Communities?
Active Adult and 55+ Communities are geared towards older adults who are able to live independently and who don’t require the services that retirement, assisted living or memory care communities provide. Many residents still work full- or part-time. For those seniors who desire a low-maintenance lifestyle, often with resort-like amenities and organized social activities, an active adult or 55+ community may be the right option. These communities fall into two categories:
1) Age-Restricted – For 55+ communities, in order to comply with the Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995, one person must be aged 55 or older in at least 80% of the occupied housing units. The other 20% of the homes are open to younger adults, sometimes with a minimum age that is established by the community, creating the 80/20 rule. If the minimum age in the community is 62, then all residents must be aged 62 or older.
2) Age-targeted – These communities are marketed towards the 55+ population, with amenities that promote an active adult lifestyle, but there are no age restrictions.
The types of homes in an active adult neighborhood vary from community to community, as do the range of services and amenities provided. From small apartments to two- or three-bedroom single-family homes with attached garages, there’s a broad range of housing options available, with many communities offering multiple home styles. Communities can offer luxurious, resort-like features with multiple, daily planned activities, or be lower-engagement with more simple amenities. The term “active” adult does not necessarily mean physically active, although these communities often have facilities that help foster a more physically active lifestyle. Events and outings that encourage social activity are common, and opportunities for mental stimulation, through cultural excursions and enrichment classes, may also be scheduled. Amenities may include:
Tennis and pickleball courts
Fitness centers and exercise classes
Gathering spaces such as a clubhouse or lounge
Planned social activities
Classes and lectures
Clubs and interest groups
There are many benefits to living in an Active Adult or 55+ Community. These benefits include:
Location – these communities are often located near shopping, parks, restaurants, office buildings and local attractions
Low-maintenance living – exterior home maintenance and lawn care are usually provided
Neighbors of similar age – being in close proximity to people in the same stage of life makes it easier to form new friendships
Amenities – facilities and programs that promote better health, strengthen social bonds and improve or maintain mental sharpness will help keep seniors vibrant and happy
When searching for an Active Adult Community, be sure to keep in mind which amenities are best suited to your lifestyle, choose a location that provides access to what is important to you and take any rules or fees into account.
Use our US map above to begin your search for Active Adult and 55+ communities. Our search results include pictures, floor plans, contact info and pricing where available.