18 55 Plus Living Communities in the Oakland Area
Friendship, Community and Security
21966 Dolores Street, Castro Valley, CA 94546
- Restaurant style dining with gourmet and special diet menu selections
- A variety of activities, programs, and meaningful volunteer opportunities
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
- Woodworking Shop
- The Baywood Court Computer Lab enables residents to write their autobiography, trace their genealogy, research topics of interest, or simply surf the Internet.
Welcome to Allen Temple Manor
7607 International Blvd., Oakland, CA 94621
- Spacious one bedroom apartments
- Full size freezer/refrigerator and electric range/oven
- Fully-carpeted with vertical blinds
- A well-designed community room used during activities and events
- Ample space for parties, birthdays, holiday and other events
WELCOME TO ALLEN TEMPLE ARMS
8135 International Boulevard, Oakland, CA 94621
- Spacious one bedroom and studio apartments
- A well-designed community room used during activities and events
- A library that boasts of a selection of books and magazines, computer and copier machine for resident use
- Tastefully landscaped grounds with mature trees and flowers
- Gated and well-lighted resident and visitor parking
54 apartments in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area
2611 Alvingroom Ct., Oakland, CA 94605
- Spacious studio and one-bedroom apartments
- Full bathrooms and kitchens
- A community garden that provides residents access to satisfying labor and a sense of community and connection to other residents
- A computer lab for internet surfing or simply keeping in touch with business and family concerns
- An outdoor patio with grilling equipment for fun barbeques and summer cook-outs
We are the Luxury Retirement Community you have been searching for...
2431 Mariner Square Dr, Alameda, CA 94501
- Cardinal Point brings waterfront views together with luxury living.
- Our Executive Chef makes each meal a fine dining experience.
- Complimentary Concierge Service makes daily tasks easier than ever.
- Complimentary Chauffeur Service makes getting around town a breeze.
- Professional and Courteous staff that is here to serve you 24/7.
Enjoy Graceful Assisted Living in Lafayette, CA
1545 Pleasant Hill Road, Lafayette, CA 94549
- Panoramic view dining room
- Stadium seating in state-of-the-art entertainment theater
- Private family dining with full kitchen available
- Large common areas throughout with exquisite residential-style furnishings
- 103 distinctive studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments.
San Francisco California Independent Senior Living
2621 Appian Way, Pinole, CA 94564
- Comfortable apartments in a variety of sizes that allow you the freedom to furnish in any style that appeals to you.
- Perfectly balanced, perfectly delicious meals made from scratch and served in our restaurant-style dining room.
- We love having cats and dogs as part of our community. After all, they are part of the family.
- Catch your favorite shows in a relaxed, social atmosphere. Or participate in our renowned Wii® bowling tournament.
- We know how much seniors value their freedom, so we offer month-to-month leases with no long-term commitment. Enjoy this all-inclusive lifestyle on your terms.
Heritage Park is a place where you can make yourself at home.
3811 Lakeside Drive, Richmond, CA 94806
- Emergency Pull Cord System
- Private Patios and Balconies
- Electronic Entry Buildings
- Beautiful Clubhouse
- Sparkling Pool
The Best of Senior Living, San Francisco-style
165 Pierce Street, Daly City, CA 94015
- Each spacious residence comes equipped with a variety of features and amenities that are suitable for any lifestyle.
- The Crown Room restaurant, open 12 hours daily
- Pacifica multi-purpose/activities rooms
- Beauty/Barber salon
- Fully-equipped fitness center
Welcome to Aegis of San Francisco - Assisted Living and Memory Care
2280 Gellert Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94080
- Our spacious and bright senior apartments are available in multiple floor plans.
- Care Managers are available 24 hours per day to assist you with the activities of daily living (such as bathing or dressing).
- Relax in our comfortable common rooms as you listen to music, visit with friends or enjoy time with your family.
- Dine in our formal dining room as you catch up with friends and neighbors.
- Activity director for educational, social, and recreational programs.
We welcome you home to Vintage Court!
2499 Decoto Road, Union City, CA 94587
- Private patio entries/balconies
- Furnished clubhouse with adjoining fully equipped kitchen, recreation room/lounge, and dance floor
- Planned social activities
- Sparkling pool and spa
- Walking distance from market, post office, senior center, park, library, bank and more.
Welcome to Montecito, Independent Senior Living and Assisted Living
4756 Clayton Road, Concord, CA 94521
- Our innovative chefs will accommodate requests for specific cuisines and familiar dishes
- Swimming Pool & Art Studio
- Arrange for the chauffeured town car to take you to appointments
- Salon and Day Spa
- Wellness Center
Discover the rewards of a life well lived!
2860 Country Drive, Fremont, CA 94536
- Studio, one and two bedroom apartments
- Kitchenette in every apartment
- Fitness area with indoor pool
- Anytime Dining served restaurant style
- Weekly housekeeping and linen service
The Retirement Community With A European Heritage Situated In An Intimate, Garden Setting.
326 Mission Avenue, San Rafael, CA 94901
- The immaculately maintained 3 and a half acre Aldersly garden campus is situated just a few minutes north of San Francisco
- Independent Living - Private, garden apartments offer a range of floor plans, many suitable for couples.
- Assisted Living - Rosenborg Assisted Living Center offers 30 state-of-the-art private apartments designed to provide more responsive, personalized assistance for its residents.
- Health Care & Rehabilitation Center - Professional nurses provide daily oversight in our Health Care and Rehabilitation Center in the Kronborg Building.
- The entire Aldersly staff is dedicated to the idea of providing the highest level of appropriate, knowledgeable, and personalized care.
Exceptional Senior Living
485 Woodside Road, Redwood City, CA 94061
- Our full-service dining room offers an elegant setting, generous hours , open seating and a host to ensure a pleasurable dining experience.
- Invite friends or family to enjoy our heated indoor pool.
- Our well-appointed activity room is ideal for a friendly game of bridge, chess or other fun, challenging activities.
- Green thumbs can tend to their favorite plants in our outdoor gardening areas.
- Our emergency response system is monitored 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week by our well-trained staff in case of an emergency.
There is a vibrant, active feeling evident throughout our community
275 Los Ranchitos Road, San Rafael, CA 94903
- Full-size Kitchen
- Spacious Floor Plans
- Studio, one- and two-bedroom apartment homes
- Independent Living and Assisted Living
- Three meals daily
401 Webster Street, Palo Alto, CA 94301
- Gracious accommodations with a variety of floor plans
- Up to three delicious, well-balanced meals served daily featuring a variety of menu choices with snacks available throughout the day
- Monthly wellness visits by a licensed on-staff nurse
- Weekly housekeeping and daily trash removal
- Daily physical fitness, creative, social, learning and spiritual activities, scheduled group trips and resident-sponsored clubs for a variety of interests
Discover how to retire in style!
800 E. Stanley Blvd., Livermore, CA 94550
- Large one-bedroom apartments from 575 to 1114 square feet.
- Spacious two-bedroom apartments from 961 to 1206 square feet.
- Sun-drenched, Mediterranean architecture.
- Large outdoor pool and patio.
- Outdoor fireplace, fountains, and kitchen with BBQ.
What are Active Adult and 55+ Communities?
Active Adult and 55+ Communities are geared towards older adults who are able to live independently and who don’t require the services that retirement, assisted living or memory care communities provide. Many residents still work full- or part-time. For those seniors who desire a low-maintenance lifestyle, often with resort-like amenities and organized social activities, an active adult or 55+ community may be the right option. These communities fall into two categories:
1) Age-Restricted – For 55+ communities, in order to comply with the Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995, one person must be aged 55 or older in at least 80% of the occupied housing units. The other 20% of the homes are open to younger adults, sometimes with a minimum age that is established by the community, creating the 80/20 rule. If the minimum age in the community is 62, then all residents must be aged 62 or older.
2) Age-targeted – These communities are marketed towards the 55+ population, with amenities that promote an active adult lifestyle, but there are no age restrictions.
The types of homes in an active adult neighborhood vary from community to community, as do the range of services and amenities provided. From small apartments to two- or three-bedroom single-family homes with attached garages, there’s a broad range of housing options available, with many communities offering multiple home styles. Communities can offer luxurious, resort-like features with multiple, daily planned activities, or be lower-engagement with more simple amenities. The term “active” adult does not necessarily mean physically active, although these communities often have facilities that help foster a more physically active lifestyle. Events and outings that encourage social activity are common, and opportunities for mental stimulation, through cultural excursions and enrichment classes, may also be scheduled. Amenities may include:
Tennis and pickleball courts
Fitness centers and exercise classes
Gathering spaces such as a clubhouse or lounge
Planned social activities
Classes and lectures
Clubs and interest groups
There are many benefits to living in an Active Adult or 55+ Community. These benefits include:
Location – these communities are often located near shopping, parks, restaurants, office buildings and local attractions
Low-maintenance living – exterior home maintenance and lawn care are usually provided
Neighbors of similar age – being in close proximity to people in the same stage of life makes it easier to form new friendships
Amenities – facilities and programs that promote better health, strengthen social bonds and improve or maintain mental sharpness will help keep seniors vibrant and happy
When searching for an Active Adult Community, be sure to keep in mind which amenities are best suited to your lifestyle, choose a location that provides access to what is important to you and take any rules or fees into account.
Use our US map above to begin your search for Active Adult and 55+ communities. Our search results include pictures, floor plans, contact info and pricing where available.