2 Featured 55 Plus Living Communities in the Newport News Area
Resort Style Waterfront Living
- Solarium with 360 Breathtaking Views
- 30 Meals a Month at Two of Our On-site Restaurants
- 24 / 7 Maintenance and Concierge and Bi-Weekly Housekeeping
- Complimentary Transportation to Doctors and Shopping
- Membership at Our Hygeia Health Club with Indoor Heated Pool
Where Neighbors Become Friends
Rents to start at $854 per month
- Beautiful Affordable Housing and an EarthCraft Certified Community
- Open Kitchen with Breakfast Bar and Spacious Floor Plan Layouts
- Two-Story Luxury Clubroom and Solar Powered Common Areas
- Proximity to Northern Suffolk’s Fine Dining and Shopping
- Beautiful Lush Landscaped Grounds with Plant Covered Porches and Views Surrounding Countryside and Tree-lined Neighborhood
10 55 Plus Living Communities in the Newport News Area
Because People Make the Place
- Independent and Assisted Living, Secure Memory Care and Respite Stays.
- 24-hour Team Including LPN Supervision, Maintenance and Housekeeping
- Individualized Service Plans for Each Assisted Living Resident
- Social Activities and a Full Time Life Enrichment Director
- Transportation to Doctor's Appointments and Other Activities
Welcome to The Devonshire, Live Happy, You Deserve it!
Independent Living From - $2060 - $3450 / Assisted Living From - $3249 - $3999
- Security, emergency maintenance and medical access 24 hours a day
- Beautiful landscaping with private gardens
- Utilities included except phone, internet and cable
- Free housekeeping and laundry facilities
- Scheduled activities and free transportation
An Upscale Senior Living Community Coming Soon to Yorktown, VA
- Artful Dining®: The Yorktown, VA area is filled with a bounty of fresh ingredients our chefs craft into seasonal menus, featuring dishes making this part of the country legendary.
- Zestful Activities®: We have scheduled outings for shopping and entertainment around the area.
- Heartful Care®: From wellness programs to the latest health trends, to our friendly 24/7 staff, you can have peace-of-mind that southern-style care is always available.
- HEARTS® Welcome Program: One of our signature programs, is your grand entrance into the community stress free.
- Nothing is more important to us than making sure your decision to move into our community meets your expectations and satisfaction.
Affordable Senior Living in Suffolk VA
- 8520 Town Point Road, Suffolk, VA 23435
- Government Subsidized/Income Qualified
- 24 Hour Emergency Call System and Maintenance Team
- Community Center with Planned Activities & Outings. Social & Wellness Program
- Transportation For Medical & Shopping
- Fully Equipped Kitchens / Laundry Center
Relaxed Living. Experience Life at The Commons at Churchland
Starting From $878 Per Month
- Community Room with Scheduled Events, Elevators
- Pet Friendly, Washer& Dryer (in select homes) Dishwasher Included
- Beautifully Landscaped Courtyard with Sitting Area
- Conveniently Located Near Shopping, Entertainment & Medical
- On-Site, Professional, Caring and Friendly Management & Maintenance Teams
Senior Living in Newport News Virginia
- 955 Harpersville Road, Newport News, VA 23601
- Full service Continuing Care Retirement Community
- Offers true Life Care and Fee for Services financial arrangements
- Nursing care center has received zero deficiencies in 11 of the last 12 annual surveys
- Located on 35 spacious acres convenient to City Center of Newport News and I-64
- Promotes a healthy and active lifestyle through classes, fitness center, swimming pool, and one-on-one personal consultation
Home of Exceptional Service & Value For Seniors 55 & Better
- 101 Arboretum Way, Newport News, VA 23602
- Shuttle Service To Doctors, Shopping & Dining
- Library/Social Hall w/Planned Activities
- Elevator Access, Emergency Pull Cords
- Onsite Beauty Salon
- Picnic and Garden area/Paved Walkways Around Lovely Landscaped Grounds
A Hampton Roads full-service Continuing Care Retirement Community.
- One Colley Avenue, Norfolk, VA 23510
- Restaurant style dinning, 3 meals daily
- Personalized activities program with organized outings/Holistic fitness program
- 24-hour nursing coverage/Medication administration
- Utilities included (except telephone)/Emergency response system
- 33 private spacious apartments/Daily housekeeping
Independent Living | Assisted Living | Memory Care
- 5871 Harbour View Blvd, Suffolk, VA 23435
- No large, upfront entrance fees / Spacious one & two-bedroom apartments
- Washer and Dryer in all apartments / Elegant Dining Room / Theater / Pub
- Three hospitals located within seven miles
- Adjacent to small retail center, featuring Starbucks Located across the street from Harbour View West Shopping Center
- As a Harmony Senior Services community, you can expect a caring, passionate, and professional staff committed to creating an active environment at The Crossings at Harbour View
Quality Affordable Senior Living. Let Us Help You Find Your New Home
- 114 Cromwell Parkway, Norfolk, VA 23505
- FREE Deluxe Cable, Water and Sewer Utilities Included
- Small Pets Welcome - Please Call for Details
- Picnic and Grilling Area, Café and Covered Outdoor Space
- Bus Service, Planned Social Activities and Large Activities Room with TV
- Convenient Central Location with a Caring, Compassionate Staff
Other 55 Plus Living Communities in the Newport News Area
Welcome to Lexington Commons Senior Living Apartments in Denbigh Area Newport News, VA
- 14534 Old Courthouse Way, Newport News, VA 23608
- The Peace of Mind of a Maintenance Free Lifestyle
- Secured Access Entry with Intercom and Keypad System
- Monitored 24-hour Emergency Pull Cord System in Bedrooms and Bathrooms
- Scheduled Transportation for Shopping, Outings and Excursions
- Movie Room, Billiards, Fitness Center and More
Forrest Pines Senior Community
BRAND NEW apartment community thoughtfully designed for active adults 62 or better.
- 500 Big Forrest Court, Newport News, VA 23608
- Lush landscaped grounds with screened porches. Shuttle Bus to take you out to shows, shopping, dining and more
- Arts and Crafts and Game Rooms, Fitness Center, Beauty Salon, Beautiful community room with fireplace
- Elevators, Monitored entrance, Water included, Swimming pool, Indoor mailboxes & controlled access entry
- Spacious layouts, Walk-in showers, Bath features: grab bars and slip resistant tubs
- Emergency call system, Free Cox cable with up to 81 channels, Bright open kitchens with breakfast bar area, Patio or balcony, Washer and dryer connections in each apartment
Beautiful Retirement Apartments in Hampton Virginia!
- 215 Marcella Ave, Hampton, VA 23666
- Affordable Living
- Secure Building
- Emergency Call System
- Raised Gardening Beds for Resident Use
- Small Pets Welcome
Somerset At Town Center
Welcome to the luxury and comfort of Hampton's most exciting new senior community!
- 211 Marcella Road, Hampton, VA 23666
- Located in the heart of Peninsula Town Center
- Private Shuttle Bus to transport you to some of the area’s finest shopping, dining and entertainment.
- Arts and Crafts Room, Fitness Center & Beauty Salon
- Beautiful Community Room with Fireplace
- Monitored Entrance & Elevators
Tidewater Senior Apartments
Tidewater Senior offers two-bedroom apartment homes for those 55+.
- 1446 W. Queen St #100, Hampton, VA 23669
- On-Site Professional Management
- Planned Activities
- 24-Hour Emergency Maintenance
- On City Busline
- Fully Equipped Kitchen
Senior Living Community located in the heart of Hampton, Virginia.
- 232 Gilbert Street, Hampton, VA 23669
- Solariums or Patios
- Controlled Access & Indoor Mailboxes
- Swimming Pool & Clubhouse
- Close To Shopping
- 24-Hour Emergency Call System
The Woodlands at Phoebus
Nestled conveniently in the Phoebus section of Hampton, VA – The Woodlands at Phoebus is a vibrant community for residents 62 and better!
- 54 Woodland Road, Hampton, VA 23663
- Apartments: Spacious Layouts, Walk In Showers, Microwave, Emergency Call System
- Bright Open Kitchens with Large Island, Stainless Steel Appliances
- Free Water and Cable, Central Air & Heat, Washer & Dryer in Unit
- Community: Lush Landscape, Outdoor Sitting Area, Media Rooms
- Shuttle Bus to Shopping, Fitness Center, Elevators, Monitored Entrance and More!
Independent Retirement Living in Yorktown VA
- 2405 Ft Eustis Blvd., Yorktown, VA 23692
- 3 Meals Served Daily
- Live-in Management
- Game Room
- Walk-in Closets
The Orchards at Belleville Harbour
Affordable Living, Priceless Lifestyle for Adults 62 and Better!
- 1050 Belle Orchard Lane, Suffolk, VA 23435
- Apartments starting in the $600's
- Large One and Two Bedroom Floor Plans with your choice of a patio, balcony or solarium
- Fully equipped kitchens in all apartments with washer and dryer connections
- Worry free living with full maintenance staff around the clock
- A library on site with FREE internet access.
The Talbot on Granby
Norfolk's first full service luxury apartment community just for active seniors
- 6311 Granby St, Norfolk, VA 23505
- Services include bi-weekly housekeeping, all utilities and basic cable (telephone excluded)
- Nine ft. ceilings with crown moulding,Walk-in closets,laundry room in each apartment
- Emergency medical pendant and 24-hour security included
- Ask about our monitored medication dispensing program. No more pill boxes!
What are Active Adult and 55+ Communities?
Active Adult and 55+ Communities are geared towards older adults who are able to live independently and who don’t require the services that retirement, assisted living or memory care communities provide. Many residents still work full- or part-time. For those seniors who desire a low-maintenance lifestyle, often with resort-like amenities and organized social activities, an active adult or 55+ community may be the right option. These communities fall into two categories:
1) Age-Restricted – For 55+ communities, in order to comply with the Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995, one person must be aged 55 or older in at least 80% of the occupied housing units. The other 20% of the homes are open to younger adults, sometimes with a minimum age that is established by the community, creating the 80/20 rule. If the minimum age in the community is 62, then all residents must be aged 62 or older.
2) Age-targeted – These communities are marketed towards the 55+ population, with amenities that promote an active adult lifestyle, but there are no age restrictions.
The types of homes in an active adult neighborhood vary from community to community, as do the range of services and amenities provided. From small apartments to two- or three-bedroom single-family homes with attached garages, there’s a broad range of housing options available, with many communities offering multiple home styles. Communities can offer luxurious, resort-like features with multiple, daily planned activities, or be lower-engagement with more simple amenities. The term “active” adult does not necessarily mean physically active, although these communities often have facilities that help foster a more physically active lifestyle. Events and outings that encourage social activity are common, and opportunities for mental stimulation, through cultural excursions and enrichment classes, may also be scheduled. Amenities may include:
Tennis and pickleball courts
Fitness centers and exercise classes
Gathering spaces such as a clubhouse or lounge
Planned social activities
Classes and lectures
Clubs and interest groups
There are many benefits to living in an Active Adult or 55+ Community. These benefits include:
Location – these communities are often located near shopping, parks, restaurants, office buildings and local attractions
Low-maintenance living – exterior home maintenance and lawn care are usually provided
Neighbors of similar age – being in close proximity to people in the same stage of life makes it easier to form new friendships
Amenities – facilities and programs that promote better health, strengthen social bonds and improve or maintain mental sharpness will help keep seniors vibrant and happy
When searching for an Active Adult Community, be sure to keep in mind which amenities are best suited to your lifestyle, choose a location that provides access to what is important to you and take any rules or fees into account.
Use our US map above to begin your search for Active Adult and 55+ communities. Our search results include pictures, floor plans, contact info and pricing where available.