4 55 Plus Living Communities in the New Braunfels Area
Welcome to Rio Terra
- 2294 E Common Street, New Braunfels, TX 78130
- Variety of apartment styles and sizes with month to month rental and no buy-ins or long term leases
- Weekly Housekeeping and Linen Service
- Fitness programs such as exercise classes and walking groups
- A wide variety of enticing social, recreational, educational, and cultural programs
- Art classes and craft workshops
Luxury Senior Living in San Antonio
- 21802 Encino Commons, San Antonio, TX 78259
- Concierge Services
- Bistro Dining
- Activity Center, Fitness Center, Outdoor Pool
- Gardening, Spacious Courtyards
- On-Site Medical, Dental, & Podiatry
Love the way you live.
- 20450 Huebner Rd, San Antonio, TX 78258
- Front desk staff 24/7, concierge services
- Restaurant-style dining offering three chef-prepared meals a day, showcasing multiple choices
- Card & game rooms, music/choir room, arts & crafts studio, two libraries, fishponds, indoor & outdoor walking areas
- Privileges to The Club at Sonterra for golf, tennis, fitness, swimming, dining and social events
- Scheduled transportation for shopping, church services, appointments, airport and more
Opt Out of Average Senior Living
- 2702 Cembalo Blvd., San Antonio, TX 78230
- Meal packages are included to match your lifestyle and floorplan
- Heated Swmming Pool
- Wellness Room/Spa
- Beauty & Barber Shop
- Access to the on-site Clubhouse featuring a Living Room with Fireplace, Game Room and a Swimming Pool with Spa and Cabana
What are Active Adult and 55+ Communities?
Active Adult and 55+ Communities are geared towards older adults who are able to live independently and who don’t require the services that retirement, assisted living or memory care communities provide. Many residents still work full- or part-time. For those seniors who desire a low-maintenance lifestyle, often with resort-like amenities and organized social activities, an active adult or 55+ community may be the right option. These communities fall into two categories:
1) Age-Restricted – For 55+ communities, in order to comply with the Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995, one person must be aged 55 or older in at least 80% of the occupied housing units. The other 20% of the homes are open to younger adults, sometimes with a minimum age that is established by the community, creating the 80/20 rule. If the minimum age in the community is 62, then all residents must be aged 62 or older.
2) Age-targeted – These communities are marketed towards the 55+ population, with amenities that promote an active adult lifestyle, but there are no age restrictions.
The types of homes in an active adult neighborhood vary from community to community, as do the range of services and amenities provided. From small apartments to two- or three-bedroom single-family homes with attached garages, there’s a broad range of housing options available, with many communities offering multiple home styles. Communities can offer luxurious, resort-like features with multiple, daily planned activities, or be lower-engagement with more simple amenities. The term “active” adult does not necessarily mean physically active, although these communities often have facilities that help foster a more physically active lifestyle. Events and outings that encourage social activity are common, and opportunities for mental stimulation, through cultural excursions and enrichment classes, may also be scheduled. Amenities may include:
Tennis and pickleball courts
Fitness centers and exercise classes
Gathering spaces such as a clubhouse or lounge
Planned social activities
Classes and lectures
Clubs and interest groups
There are many benefits to living in an Active Adult or 55+ Community. These benefits include:
Location – these communities are often located near shopping, parks, restaurants, office buildings and local attractions
Low-maintenance living – exterior home maintenance and lawn care are usually provided
Neighbors of similar age – being in close proximity to people in the same stage of life makes it easier to form new friendships
Amenities – facilities and programs that promote better health, strengthen social bonds and improve or maintain mental sharpness will help keep seniors vibrant and happy
When searching for an Active Adult Community, be sure to keep in mind which amenities are best suited to your lifestyle, choose a location that provides access to what is important to you and take any rules or fees into account.
Use our US map above to begin your search for Active Adult and 55+ communities. Our search results include pictures, floor plans, contact info and pricing where available.