3 55 Plus Living Communities in the Kapolei Area
Living Well at 'Ilima at Leihano
- 891 Kama`aha Ave, Suite 101, Kapolei, HI 96707
- A flexible monthly dining account to be used at your convenience at any of our dining venues.
- Complete building and grounds maintenance.
- Housekeeping services every other week.
- 24/7 security system including security personnel and electronic monitoring systems plus an in-home urgent response system.
- An array of lifestyle enrichment activities and events including social, cultural, spiritual and recreational opportunities.
Honolulu's premier, fee simple, full service retirement community.
- 1314 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96826
- 1 Bed./1 Bath, 2 Bed./1 Bath & 2 Bed. /2 Bath fee simple condos
- Fully equipped General Electric kitchen
- Floors are generally carpeted, while most kitchens and bathrooms floors have ceramic tile
- 17 guest parking stalls located on the main entry level
- You can rent, reverse mortgage or re-sell your unit anytime.
More than a senior living community...
- 428 Kawaihae Street, Honolulu, HI 96825
- Your own private suite with multiple floor plans and options to choose from
- Three nutritious, chef-prepared meals a day
- A full calendar of activities, events, and volunteer opportunities
- Complimentary shuttle service
- Pets warmly welcomed
Other 55 Plus Living Communities in the Kapolei Area
Low-Income, High-Quality Senior Living in Honolulu, HI
- 1551 South Beretania Street, Honolulu, HI 96826
- All apartments are handicap accessible for independent living
- Common areas include fitness area, laundry room, library, computer center, and lounging areas
- Monthly resident potluck parties
- Monthly Kulana Hale sponsored senior parties and events
- Location central to Honolulu and the city bus line
What are Active Adult and 55+ Communities?
Active Adult and 55+ Communities are geared towards older adults who are able to live independently and who don’t require the services that retirement, assisted living or memory care communities provide. Many residents still work full- or part-time. For those seniors who desire a low-maintenance lifestyle, often with resort-like amenities and organized social activities, an active adult or 55+ community may be the right option. These communities fall into two categories:
1) Age-Restricted – For 55+ communities, in order to comply with the Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995, one person must be aged 55 or older in at least 80% of the occupied housing units. The other 20% of the homes are open to younger adults, sometimes with a minimum age that is established by the community, creating the 80/20 rule. If the minimum age in the community is 62, then all residents must be aged 62 or older.
2) Age-targeted – These communities are marketed towards the 55+ population, with amenities that promote an active adult lifestyle, but there are no age restrictions.
The types of homes in an active adult neighborhood vary from community to community, as do the range of services and amenities provided. From small apartments to two- or three-bedroom single-family homes with attached garages, there’s a broad range of housing options available, with many communities offering multiple home styles. Communities can offer luxurious, resort-like features with multiple, daily planned activities, or be lower-engagement with more simple amenities. The term “active” adult does not necessarily mean physically active, although these communities often have facilities that help foster a more physically active lifestyle. Events and outings that encourage social activity are common, and opportunities for mental stimulation, through cultural excursions and enrichment classes, may also be scheduled. Amenities may include:
Tennis and pickleball courts
Fitness centers and exercise classes
Gathering spaces such as a clubhouse or lounge
Planned social activities
Classes and lectures
Clubs and interest groups
There are many benefits to living in an Active Adult or 55+ Community. These benefits include:
Location – these communities are often located near shopping, parks, restaurants, office buildings and local attractions
Low-maintenance living – exterior home maintenance and lawn care are usually provided
Neighbors of similar age – being in close proximity to people in the same stage of life makes it easier to form new friendships
Amenities – facilities and programs that promote better health, strengthen social bonds and improve or maintain mental sharpness will help keep seniors vibrant and happy
When searching for an Active Adult Community, be sure to keep in mind which amenities are best suited to your lifestyle, choose a location that provides access to what is important to you and take any rules or fees into account.
Use our US map above to begin your search for Active Adult and 55+ communities. Our search results include pictures, floor plans, contact info and pricing where available.