Other 55 Plus Living Communities in the Arden Area
Refreshing. Comfortable. Inspiring.
- 2400 Appalachian Blvd, Arden, NC 28704
- Contemporary living in a natural setting with well-designed, convenient floor plans
- Our expert chef and culinary team work very hard to create wholesome, nutritious meals
- Social, recreational, educational and cultural programs are planned around member preferences.
- Bi-weekly housekeeping services are provided.
- Member committees recommend the programs and opportunities available at the community, which help shape the lifestyle offered at Ardenwoods.
Pacifica Senior Living Heritage Hills - IL
A Home of Your Own, Without the Headaches.
- 3200 Heritage Circle, Hendersonville, NC 28791
- One, Two and Three Bedroom Cottages
- Five-star resort lifestyle with restaurant-style dining
- Arts and crafts/hobby room - Game room with billiards and bar - Library/reading room
- Computer center with internet access
- Bi-Weekly housekeeping services & concierge and chauffeur services
Brookdale Hendersonville East
Resort-style Senior Living in Hendersonville, NC
- 2601 Chimney Rock Road, Hendersonville, NC 28792
- Private suite, Private deluxe suite, Studio, One-bedroom apartment, Two-bedroom apartment
- Full-service dining room
- Full-service salon offering hairstyling, manicures and facials
- Located near shopping and fine dining
- Emergency alert system
Scenic Splendor - and a new look - in Columbus, NC
- 617 Laurel Lake Dr, Columbus, NC 28722
- Pet friendly
- Nutritious Meals Prepared By Professionally Trained Chefs
- Guest Apartments Available
- Indoor Swimming Pool
- Full-Time Life Engagement Coordinator (Activities)
What are Active Adult and 55+ Communities?
Active Adult and 55+ Communities are geared towards older adults who are able to live independently and who don’t require the services that retirement, assisted living or memory care communities provide. Many residents still work full- or part-time. For those seniors who desire a low-maintenance lifestyle, often with resort-like amenities and organized social activities, an active adult or 55+ community may be the right option. These communities fall into two categories:
1) Age-Restricted – For 55+ communities, in order to comply with the Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995, one person must be aged 55 or older in at least 80% of the occupied housing units. The other 20% of the homes are open to younger adults, sometimes with a minimum age that is established by the community, creating the 80/20 rule. If the minimum age in the community is 62, then all residents must be aged 62 or older.
2) Age-targeted – These communities are marketed towards the 55+ population, with amenities that promote an active adult lifestyle, but there are no age restrictions.
The types of homes in an active adult neighborhood vary from community to community, as do the range of services and amenities provided. From small apartments to two- or three-bedroom single-family homes with attached garages, there’s a broad range of housing options available, with many communities offering multiple home styles. Communities can offer luxurious, resort-like features with multiple, daily planned activities, or be lower-engagement with more simple amenities. The term “active” adult does not necessarily mean physically active, although these communities often have facilities that help foster a more physically active lifestyle. Events and outings that encourage social activity are common, and opportunities for mental stimulation, through cultural excursions and enrichment classes, may also be scheduled. Amenities may include:
Tennis and pickleball courts
Fitness centers and exercise classes
Gathering spaces such as a clubhouse or lounge
Planned social activities
Classes and lectures
Clubs and interest groups
There are many benefits to living in an Active Adult or 55+ Community. These benefits include:
Location – these communities are often located near shopping, parks, restaurants, office buildings and local attractions
Low-maintenance living – exterior home maintenance and lawn care are usually provided
Neighbors of similar age – being in close proximity to people in the same stage of life makes it easier to form new friendships
Amenities – facilities and programs that promote better health, strengthen social bonds and improve or maintain mental sharpness will help keep seniors vibrant and happy
When searching for an Active Adult Community, be sure to keep in mind which amenities are best suited to your lifestyle, choose a location that provides access to what is important to you and take any rules or fees into account.
Use our US map above to begin your search for Active Adult and 55+ communities. Our search results include pictures, floor plans, contact info and pricing where available.